How do I clone? What did I do wrong?

Seriously how do I clone ?? What did I write down wrong?

Hi Orla6752,

It would be preferable if you didn't cuss, although I do appreciate that you put an asterisk (*) in there :)

To clone a Git repository, you can run:

$ git clone <repository-source>.git

Since I'm not sure which exercise you're on, I can't really help you much more than that.
If you still need help, please post a link to the exercise you're on, and I'll be happy to help you more :)

And also, next time you create a question, it will be much easier for us to help you if you include your code/the command you're trying to run, a link to the exercise you're on, and the error message you're getting.
Thanks!

Hey Zystvan,

With regards to the first task where am I going wrong in cloning? Can't seem to work out the directory root..

$ git clone /curriculum/science-quizzes                                                               
fatal: repository '/curriculum/science-quizzes' does not exist                                        
$ git clone science-quizzes                                                                           
fatal: destination path 'science-quizzes' already exists and is not an empty directory.               
$ git clone /Users/teachers/Documents/science-quizzes                                                 
fatal: repository '/Users/teachers/Documents/science-quizzes' does not exist                          
$ remote_location                                                                                     
bash: remote_location: command not found                                                              
$ git remote_location                                                                                 
git: 'remote_location' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.                                        
$ git clone /science-quizzes                                                                          
fatal: repository '/science-quizzes' does not exist                                                   
$ git clone /Users/teachers/curriculum/science-quizzes                                                
fatal: repository '/Users/teachers/curriculum/science-quizzes' does not exist                         
fatal: destination path 'science-quizzes' already exists and is not an empty directory.               
$ git clone curriculum science-quizzes                                                                
fatal: repository 'curriculum' does not exist                                                         
$ git clone /curriculum/ science-quizzes.git                                                          
fatal: repository '/curriculum/' does not exist                                                       
$ git clone /Users/teachers/Documents/curriculum/ science-quizzes                                     
fatal: repository '/Users/teachers/Documents/curriculum/' does not exist                              
$

thanks in advance,
(hopefully I'll have solved b4 your reply will edit if so for future students - wish me luck!)

EDIT: ok still not there but we're getting somewhere.. printed working directory ("pwd" for you voyeurs) and still getting error when entering

$ git clone /home/ccuser/workspace/curriculum/science-quizzes                                         

EDIT2: DOh! Worked it out.. stupid mistake.. wasn't naming /my/ clone..

correct answer for OP is ;

$ git clone /home/ccuser/workspace/curriculum/science-quizzes my-quizzes                              
Cloning into 'my-quizzes'...                                                                          
done.                                                                                                 
$

Hey @jimmynames,

I think you just need

$ git clone science-quizzes my-quizzes

cheers m8 literally worked it out! thx tho - for future ref, with real world git - does this mean you don't have to type location of directory you can simply use name of file/folder?

I thought you had to include the file path that science-quizzes is located in? That's what I originally tried, based on the following information from the lesson:

In this command:

remote_location tells Git where to go to find the remote. This could be a web address, or a filepath, such as:
/Users/teachers/Documents/some-remote

Apparently it's much more simple than they were letting on! Thank you for your response.

Thanks...Very correct..

+1 to that, Thanks for stressing it.

thank you so much!
i was stuck in this,too.
but your answer is completely correct.
I report this issue with codecademy.
hope they correct the instruction!

That is real-world git! If you try a couple of commands in that terminal you'll find that you're working against an ubuntu machine, a docker instance I'm guessing.

You typed in the almost-correct:

But look at the response that git gave you, that's why a new name needs to be specified.

You also tried a couple of other paths, some of them look like macintosh-style paths, and you were just guessing where you were!

Because you were already in the directory, you did not need to specify the full path.
It's also possible to get the full path with the help of pwd (print working directory):

$ pwd                                                                                                                             
/home/ccuser/workspace/curriculum

Edit: oh. we're in an ancient dug-up thread :<

thank you bro. that fix my problem!

this is giving me error as repository science-quizzes does not exist

@coursecoder69860 Create a new topic.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.