How do I change the font size within table cells?

Thanks for solving the confusion!

Thank you so much! This really helped. I guess part of this lesson learning to look for answers :sweat_smile:

As a complete beginner this definitely confused me with the sudden addition of CSS. It kind of came out of nowhere and would be a little less confusing if an assumption of having no knowledge of CSS was made.

I think it was such a basic thing that they assumed, like a simple puzzle, you’d be able to figure it out, or at least that’s how I took it anyways.

Thank you! I would never have noticed the tab without your help! :slight_smile:

Many thanks.
I stuck here for a few minutes until I read your comment saying “add font-size: 18px;”

Then I realize that the font size was missing so I have to add it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

THANK YOU!!! :slight_smile:

I was reading all messages from the top, then I found your message.
It helped me a lot.

Ook uit Nederland toevallig :slight_smile:

Hi there!
Can anybody explain me why I can not pass on this exercise?

th, td {
font-family: ‘Lato’, sans-serif;
font-weight: 400;
padding: 18px;
text-align: left;
width: 33.3333%;
}

I have changed this from 16 to 18 however still wants to give me the Solution option.
I also tried to change other font size what I have found in the “style.css” still gives me the solution.

So when I press on it, it changes to 18 that code what I ve just pasted but I can not see any other differences.
Please explain me how does it should work.
The beginning of the course I was suggested to HTML and followed by CSS. However in the meantime I came across this, I almost understood it, but I need help.
Explain me please what have I done wrong?

From the code you posted, it appears that you changed the padding from 20px to 18px. From your comment:

I’m guessing that you changed font-size: 16px; to font-size: 18px; here:

thead th {
  background: #88CCF1;
  color: #FFF;
  font-family: 'Lato', sans-serif;
  font-size: 16px; /*changing this to 18px only affects <th> elements not <td>*/
  font-weight: 100;
  letter-spacing: 2px;
  text-transform: uppercase;
}

What you need to do, is add a font-size attribute to the code block that you posted, and set its value to 18px as I’ve shown in my comment inserted in your quoted code above. Hope this helps!

1 Like

Yeah, he’s right. HTML 5 has the capability to style font size within table cells, but it’s pretty hard to do. CSS is extremely helpful to style HTML documents. If you don’t know CSS, it’s pretty easy to learn. Codecademy has some helpful lessons on it.

Thank you! You are absolutely right! I pasted the wrong code to my question :sweat_smile::crazy_face:

now I understand. I read all the comments before my question, pressed the solution button but could not notice the difference. Silly me. Thank you for explaining.

Since nobody has shared a link to the exercise one can only go on memory. I do not remember there being a th, td selector in the lesson provided CSS. As I recall, I created it and gave it just the one property, font-size: 18px;.

If someone would be generous enough to track down the exercise page we are referring to, it would be greatly appreciated, with my thank you in advance.

This lesson: https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-html/lessons/tables/exercises/table-css?action=resume_content_item

1 Like

Okay, thanks, @midlindner. Not the lesson I had in mind. I see the selector is already in place in this one, and populated with properties.

Two things seem to trip up learners:

• nil awareness of the editor file tabs

• translating to, th, td, the following:

all table headings and table data

and possibly even the property, itself since we don’t know if the learner plunked themselves down in a unit unprepared for the rigors and expectations. If they aren’t checking their dashboard and filling in the gaps, we can’t know what they’ve learned; not with any assurance, anyway.

Need we even bring up the possibility that there may be bugs in the path software that is guiding learners from module to module, unit to unit. Members have often raised the concern that they felt something had been skipped over.

All the more reason to check with one’s dashboard to see if there are any gaps in progress as would be indicated by the representative graphic. Completed units are marked by an arc segment in the circular image. Gaps are easy to notice.

Bottom line, it surprises/doesn’t surprise me these sorts of mundane issues seem to raise the most ruckus. One hardly expects the journey to be easy if this problem is a wall rather than a speed bump or a yield (give way) sign.

When a primary schooler is giving a reading, I want to be as a dog who has only one ability… To listen. A dog cannot give direction or interject in any way. A listener gives confidence to the reader. How that translates to hearing out learners’ problems is somewhat a challenge, but I want to treat it as a speed bump, not a wall.

Whenever issues like this one come up, one feels completely ineffectual. It is all but impossible to connect with the learner and broaden the horizon. A tiny technical issue that flummoxes one to no end, and that diminishes confidence by the minute is not a thing to be hoodwinked and disregarded (as in, trifled with).

Retrospect is not a capacity of the CC organization. They would rather just bury it and move on. Whatever deficiency led to this topic being a recurring one, we may be confident it will continue to surface until the exercise is no more.

1 Like

I am freaking out here did we do CSS in introduction of HTML because if so I cant figure out what it was all about. Am quite sure it wasn’t there.

To get to the CSS file you will need to select it at the top of the practice exercise.