How did you learn programming languages?

Hello Guys!
This topic may sounds strange for someone but, i’m asking to the people that started from scratch and not, if they have an hint for learning to programming to share.
I mean for example in Javascript, understanding the cores like function or Arrays or objects it’s not so difficult, it’s difficult to import on code an idea of what i’m thinking to code.
Do you had a particular approach to learn and apply concepts?
Thank you and have a good Sunday

2 Likes

I learned how to code from CC. And my approach to learning stuff for coding is to dive right into and do a lesson at a time and try to do no less in a single sitting.

1 Like

I started with some programming classes in college a long time ago (but my degree was not in Computer Science), and I’ve been doing the Codecademy stuff for some time now. I also spend plenty of time looking things up on other websites, experimenting on those (or trying to adapt code from there for my purposes).
At this point, I’m doing more codecademy lessons, and trying a few coding projects that I think may be interesting.

I usually get a lesson or two done per week at this point (if I’m not working on a project at the time or something).

1 Like

Do you focus mainly on the syntax or do you prefer to write the code? For example on the Rock, Paper, Scissor exercise it was very difficult to apply all those rules together for the first time. I felt like i didn’t understood nothing.

At the beginning, I focused on the syntax a lot,
but eventually, I got more used to it, so I’m usually more focused on the code now (meaning figuring out how to make the code do what I want it to do).

But I still write my code slowly, and I reread each line I wrote to try to catch and fix syntax errors.

1 Like

Hi!
I’d agree with @janbazant1107978602 and would add a caveat. Coding is a way of thinking. At first, I was concerned about the syntax of a particular language. Then I realised that I need to understand the basic concepts and associate them with the problem at hand. I started wondering when I’d need an array of things and whether I want to have an object which is mutable.
It’s more about figuring out what tool to use when. And yeah, you’ll use a hummer at times when a screwdriver would be needed. You make mistakes (a lot), you learn and move on.
Now, I am mostly comfortable looking at the code regardless of the language it’s written in. The hardest part is to start using that knowledge in real-world applications.

2 Likes

At the beginning, I focused on the syntax a lot,
but eventually, I got more used to it, so I’m usually more focused on the code now (meaning figuring out how to make the code do what I want it to do).

But I still write my code slowly, and I reread each line I wrote to try to catch and fix syntax errors.

2 Likes

I totally agree with you, and it’s the most beautiful part of coding so far i think.
Think to how a program could run with line of code it’s so cool.
But maybe because i didn’t finished yet the Javascript path, doing some exercises more complex sounds difficult.

1 Like

I’m still learning JS, but here are some things I’ve been trying to do to help solidify the concepts.

1. Read a piece of code a day - this helps give me a better understanding how everything fits together. It’s also a great opportunity to learn new ways of using your knowledge.

2. Recreate things: if I see something I like, I’ll try and work out how to code it. If it’s too difficult, I’ll put the project aside and keep adding to it as I learn.

3. Solve problems: I’ve been going through Kata on CodeWars. These get you thinking and researching on Google. It’s also a great opportunity to see elegant solutions to the Kata from experienced programmers (if you see a new concept learn it and apply it to another project).

4. Follow tutorials: not just following them, but doing them twice. I follow along the first time, and put my own spin on it the second time. This could have as simple as refactoring the code.

I’m still new to coding, but these things are certainly helping me.

1 Like

I had tried to solve some problems on Kata, but often i refused to do because i don’t know how to start.
Everytime thinking that i have to know before and not searching on Google.
Anyway every point it’s really useful to understand how to understand better.