How could I build an app from scratch?

Hello,
I just finished my career path in computer science and I don’t know precisely what to do beside code academy projects. I have my editor and all the other things to program in my computer and I thought I will really like to practice building an app or some big project. Can anyone tell me please what should I do to use my knowledge in a productive way?

Thanks a lot!!

1 Like

Hello @design7719027421 and welcome to the Codecademy community :grinning:

Since you already have your editor, I think the first thing you need to decide is what the purpose of your app is:

• Do you want to process data
  • Are you planning on editing files
  • Is this supposed to automate something you would normally do manually
  • Will it work entirely on your computer, or will it have access to the internet

Next, based on what you are planning to do, you need to decide what language you want to use.
It may be a good idea to do some research on which language would be best for what you are planning.
A few good ones are:

• Python
  • JavaScript
  • C++

Once you have picked a language, make sure you have the compiler set up on your computer. I would recommend doing a quick Hello World just to make sure there are no problems.

Finally, start coding!!

3 Likes

You could have a quick nose around for examples of projects to work on. It doesn’t have to be completely novel but anything that can hold your interest will always be a good shout.

You could also have a look at some of the challenge/competition style websites that are available. I always found comparing my own code to an experienced developer’s to be rather helpful (if a bit of a rabbit hole). If you do go this route try to keep working on your own project and use knowledge from one to supplement the other. Challenges can be interesting and assist with learning but having your own project probably scans better on a CV. There’s an faq for that kinda thing here-

1 Like

Thank you very much, I will ask me those questions and do the research when I am ready to build my app.

1 Like

Thank you for the link, was super helpful.