How can I know if my translator works properly?

I tried to but regardless of what I type in it prints just the word empty, nothing else

impossible to say what causes the issue without getting more information (like your code)

The only guess i can take is that spaces aren’t alphanumeric characters, so make sure not to use any spaces.

Oh sorry, for some reason I thought you can see my code.

It looks like this

pyg = ‘ay’

original = raw_input(‘Enter a word:’)

if len(original) > 0 and original.isalpha():
word = original.lower()
first = word[0]
new_word = word + first + pyg
new_word = new_word[1:len(new_word)]
else:
print ‘empty’

please see this topic:

How to ask good questions (and get good answers)

and then the bit about formatting your code (so i can see the indention).

i don’t see any other print statement except for printing empty, why is that?

Oh ok so the link to the page is: https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-python/lessons/pyglatin/exercises/testing-testing-is-this-thing-on-?action=resume_content_item

and the code looks like this

pyg = 'ay'

original = raw_input('Enter a word:')

if len(original) > 0 and original.isalpha():
  word = original.lower()
  first = word[1]
  new_word = word + first + pyg
  new_word = new_word[1:len(new_word)]
else:
    print 'empty'

and I’ve tried what has been suggested in the post about swapping o to a 1, and just playing with it in general, but I don’t think I understand what I don’t understand yet and what can be wrong?

where did i suggest that?

what is your question exactly?

Oh no I didn’t mean you suggested that I’ve just been reading the thread and I understood that someone tried that so I tried it myself.

So my exact question is how to make the PygLatin work? and what is wrong with my code that it doesn’t work now?

not working is such a vague definition, what is not working as expected? Is the output not printed? What?

So I meant it isn’t doing what I ask it to do, in the case of this exercise it isn’t giving me the desired output, so if I type in the word “manchester” it’s not turning it to anchestermay, it’s simply printing the word “empty” regardless of what I type in

unable to replicate issue:

i put your code in, and i don’t get empty. Are you sure you are not entering any spaces? They don’t count as alpha numeric characters

I’ve included a couple of hints in comments to your code above. Good luck && happy coding!