How are aside elements aligned?

Is the alignment of the <aside> element defined with CSS?

Hi @ajax9536412538 :slight_smile:
That’s correct! Given a skeleton in HTML, we use CSS to style its structure.

35 Likes

Hi @herebeandre

Thanks for the reply!

3 Likes

Can I use < aside > inside of an < article >?

2 Likes

Yes.You can use aside with article and section

1 Like

I have a few question:

1. How to use indentation for a paragraph?
  2. How to decide whether a content belongs to a section or an article ? I am confuse because you mentioned earlier you can have multiple section under an article and vice-versa. please explain it with an example if possible.
  3. can we use different styling for different sections?
2 Likes

I guess that you can use

I have a question:
Is semantic HTML5 is useless or useful?

thank you :smiley_cat:

to: everyone
:sailboat:

Semantic HTML5 from my understanding and reading multiple forums about it is useful. It’s used to help both yourself and other developers understand eachother. The way you format using different elements make the entire HTML easier to read especially with today’s current HTML Files being so large.
The introduction piece to semantic-html said it has three main reasons to be used

Accessibility - Both to screen readers and for mobile platforms more easily understand good semantics.
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) - Helps to increase traffic on websites with good semantics because of how search engines work.
Easy to Understand - Source code is easier to understand and give context as to what we’re referring to through good semantics. It also helps other developers check your work and if you have any issues give better criticism.

1 Like

How are aside elements aligned without the context of HTML?

Do you mean, “How would the alignment for aside present if we don’t specify in CSS?”?

Because if so, I would like to understand that too. Does it automatically space as shown in the lesson example? Or would it run underneath or concurrent to the article?

It is important to note that the aside element contains a paragraph element both examples given. The paragraph element creates the space between paragraphs as seen in the webpage view of the HTTP example.

The aside element simply provides a labeling of a segment of information that is to be additional information to the main content (likely enclosed by the article or section element), but in HTML it is not creating any style component.

You can see the HTML Demo section of the MDN reference page for both the HTTP and CSS and its related webpage display: <aside>: The Aside element - HTML: HyperText Markup Language | MDN

It does not show the article or section elements in the demo area since the demo is just showing a snippet of an entire HTML webpage to get the general idea of the aside element, but in the “Example” section below the “Demo” it is shown within an article element.

2 Likes

I have a question about SEO. If there is a research article from html4 or html3 or html2 but my query is designed to work with html5 will the relevant information from the earlier html show up or will it be overshadowed by more currently written html5? There is much information from the past that can help us now.

1 Like

Seems redundant right?

Is it the same as footer, do we need to use CSS to style its structure to appear in the bottom of the webpage?

Is ‘aside’ only to be used when it’s assigned a style in the css file? Based on the example provided, the reader would not intuitively identify an aside so it seems pretty useless unless one intends to do something with it. Is this a correct assumption?