How Anthropology, Soccer, and Women Matter to Coding (If you like any of these, this is for you!)

So, when I’m on a flow, writing, it’s awesome, let me tell you. By the way @aorchowski, really applaud the way you helped garner yourself a lot of readers, and are making an effort to merge healthcare into the world of coding + quick shout out to @yizuhi, for commenting on my post, really gave me a lot of insight! You both have inspired me, so I want to do something similar with this post. Also, if you haven’t checked out my last post, it’s in Careers, Journey’s and Stories, it’s called “Coding Isn’t Hard, it’s like rocket science!” I also have another post published under “Suggestions, Feature, and Course Requests” called “There’s a New Idea For Teens? No way!” So, if you want to check those out, there they are! However, my topic today is going to be about those who feel underrepresented in the community, and how we can apply the outside-world in coding. For example, how are women perceived in the coding industry? Let me answer that first, because as I was typing the question, a quick thought occurred to me. Don’t women have the same capability of typing in the same numbers and letters? Like they both have fingers, right? Male dominance has always been a pillar of some sorts in our society, in that a lot of phenomenons that were introduced early in civilization were handled by men, when women held no role in science at all. Well, maybe one or 2 scientists helped out with breaking this rule (See: Marie Curie), there were not enough trailblazers to stand in the way of demolishing this belief in the 21st century. I think we should change that. Not many people realize what a lack of women in the coding industry means. It means that this idea of a society has not changed for centuries, so, what will? No seriously, if woman after woman couldn’t get the job done for years… then what can we do?

This is where I’m going to propose a strategy: Read, with a capital R. One of the first books I ever encountered that gave me the insight into what actually went on behind the fields of science and math was Primates, which is a book on 3 women, Jane Goodall, Birute Galdikas, and Dian Fossey. When reading this book, I found that a lot of anthropology had been linked to how we define our advancements in technology. Early in the years, man or civilization had always been defined by the use of tools, which is what led to the discovery that we share over 90% of our DNA with chimps. But we’re going to take that phrase away, and input it with a new hypothesis I came up with: Man is the ability to create tool (Yes, I know I’ve been going on about how there’s a lack of women in the industry and all, but I’m trying to get into the whole spirit of things, so don’t @ me about that! :slight_smile: ). However, back to the main idea, we have to be able to create and spread awareness of this issue. Create awareness and cultivate enough information to prove employers wrong. I know a lot of us may not have experience with, I don’t know, setting up a benefit (although that would be great), or something else professionally done, but why can’t we assume leadership in the role of women in tech by being empowered together? So she wants to feel confident, so she’ll add a bit of that eyeshadow, maybe she’ll wear a dress because she likes the coulour,(I’m Canadian, so I’m going to spell it with a U) but that does not, make her brain any less than a man’s. In fact, those qualities just make her bold, daring. It’s like deciphering someone’s character from how they play sports. The person who always follows the rules to a T, you know they’re a stickler for rules and will never compromise safety to win a game. This is the exact same! I hope you learned about how women are perceived in the role of coding, and how we should expand our platforms to make our voices be heard. “She wrote some code just on the paper itself, and she’s really somebody we point to in our heritage as our founder of computer science” - Megan Smith on Ada Lovelace.

2 Likes