High school diploma or a GED required?

Do you have to have a high school diploma or a GED to get a job as a software, web, developer or a programming developer, in any other tech industry? I understand that you don’t necessarily need to have a college degree, to get a job as a programming developer, but do you still need to have a high school diploma to get a job as a programming developer?

In today’s world we need at least to complete HighSchool just so we have some wherewithal and general knowledge. Math and Science are important tools; even a basic understanding is better than none. I’ve always said to people that even if college is not on their horizon, they should still strive for the highest academic level they are capable of in high school.

We cannot discount the importance and value of social studies and communication. In high school there is a lot of reading and writing in those two classes. It may not seem important to grasp Shakespeare or the romantic writers, etc. but the ability it gives us to understand others is irreplacable.

From a coding perspective, it boils down to aptitude and personal drive. If you have that, then you have your foot in the door, already. Anybody with those two attributes can be a good coder/developer. Just don’t discount the above things I mentioned.

There are educational expectations and behavioural expectations. Completing high school is just as much about having enough grit to grind something out as it is about the marks you get.