Hi! i founded on internet that Placeholders in <form> fields are harmful can u guys tell me how?

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-html/projects/form-a-story

Hi there.

I did a quick search for “placeholders forms harmful” and found a blog article about how placeholders are harmful to UX and usability. I presume this is what you found as well?

In any case, placeholders aren’t inherently harmful - it’s possible to design a completely atrocious web form without using them at all.

The blog makes some… interesting arguments about how vanishing placeholders are a strain on the user’s short term memory and some other stuff… but largely I would interpret it as opinion, not fact.

So, feel free to use placeholder text in your forms… or don’t. It’s entirely up to you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah. thanks for your response, as you said i read an article that said similar things, just want to make sure i stand to the point by hearing others opinions or experience.

No worries, and it’s always good to get other opinions. :slight_smile:

It’s not always easy, when building an application, to provide a good user experience (UX). That’s why quite a lot of big companies producing software or online platforms have entire teams dedicated just to UX. :slight_smile:

If you wanted to know more about UX, I think @janneslohmeijer might be able to provide some useful input. :slight_smile:

1 Like

great !! good to know , i will after him. :slightly_smiling_face: