Help with Visual Studio Code, saying scripts aren't in path, what does that mean and what should I do?

Question is title.

WARNING: The script isort.exe is installed in ‘C:\Users\humil\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python38\Scripts’ which is not on PATH.
Consider adding this directory to PATH or, if you prefer to suppress this warning, use --no-warn-script-location.
WARNING: The scripts epylint.exe, pylint.exe, pyreverse.exe and symilar.exe are installed in ‘C:\Users\humil\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python38\Scripts’ which is not on PATH.
Consider adding this directory to PATH or, if you prefer to suppress this warning, use --no-warn-script-location.

Hi @verbannon

My guess would be that when you installed Python 3.8, you didn’t check the box to add Python’s installation locations to the PATH environment variable.

I don’t think the box at the bottom (“Add Python 3.8 to PATH”) is checked by default. If you didn’t check this, the installation location for Python won’t have been added to the PATH and this will be causing your issue.

You can fix it by manually adding the installation location for Python to your PATH environment variable. There are instructions on how to do this over on Super User (part of the Stack Exchange network).

Alternatively, if you don’t feel confident tinkering with the environment variables, you can fix the problem by completely uninstalling Python 3.8 before reinstalling it and checking the “Add Python 3.8 to PATH” box during installation.

It’s for executables in packages, those are not placed in python’s installation directory.
Presumably some plugin for vscode is being installed, and that plugin is in turn invoking pip to install half a dozen programs that it’s using for linting and completions and the like.
Depending on how that plugin invokes those programs, they may or may not need to be in $PATH.
Arguably if a shiny button causes warnings then a shiny button should deal with warnings if it cares.
(alternatively, don’t use shiny buttons without being willing to clean up for them, this kind of layering of tools isn’t all that healthy because nobody feels like they’re the layer responsible for anything)