Help with School Catalogue project

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-javascript-classes/projects/school-catalog?course_redirect=introduction-to-javascript

Can you help with task 7?

Under .quickFacts(), create a static method named pickSubstituteTeacher. This method will receive one parameter, named substituteTeachers. The substituteTeachers parameter will take an array of strings.

Inside the method, randomly generate a whole number between 0 and one less than the length of the substituteTeachers array. Use this number to access and return the substitute teacher at that randomly generated index.

static pickSubstituteTeacher(substituteTeachers) {
substituteTeachers = [];
let randomTeacher = Math.floor(substituteTeachers.length * Math.random() - 1)
this.substitueTeachers[randomTeacher];

}

I can’t figure out who do it, thanks!

You’ve got most if it right. Just don’t set substituteTeachers equal to an empty array, and remember to return the result at the end.

static pickSubstituteTeacher(substituteTeachers) {
    let randomTeacher = Math.floor(substituteTeachers.length * Math.random() - 1)
    return substitueTeachers[randomTeacher];
}

Hello slinkyfran,

I had the same problem as you.
Now i wrote something like this:

static pickSubstituteTeacher(substituteTeachers){
let arr=[substituteTeachers];
let i=Math.floor((arr.length-1) * Math.random());
console.log(arr[i]);
}

Call:

School.pickSubstituteTeacher(‘Jamal Crawford’, ‘Lou Williams’, ‘J. R. Smith’, ‘James Harden’, ‘Jason Terry’, ‘Manu Ginobli’);

I hobe it will help you :slight_smile:

Hi @jkba2017,

The instructions specify that the pickSubstituteTeacher method should return its result rather than only display it.

Essentially what it needs to do is:

• choose, at random, an index of the substituteTeachers array that it receives as an argument.
  • return the substitute teacher’s name that is stored at that index.

You can use console.log to display the result of calling the method.

In designing such a method, we could have chosen to have it display a result instead of returning it. However, returning it affords us more flexibility. For example, we could pass the result of calling the method directly to a database system of substitute teachers to extract additional information about the particular teacher that was chosen.

Can I just ask, as a beginner and new to this course, where did you get the idea for “randomTeacher” as it is not mentioned in the instructions?

I don’t think you need -1 after Math.random because if Math.random returns 0 than your randomTeacher index will be -1

Left that one in by accident… Good catch.