Help with quiz

Thank you. I’ve been trying for 4+ months with some breaks but each time i take a few days break I have to start the lessons all over because I can’t remember anything. I have pro but I’m not going to keep it because I’ve learned nothing and i can’t afford to waste money. I’ve repeated the entire intro javaScript and intro computing classes at least 3 or 4 times each, repeating each lessons 4 or 5 times and I can’t remember anything at all.

Unfortunately I need to learn JavaScript for work… I don’t know why, i just have to because nothing uses HTML and CSS anymore apparently? I have never hated learning as much as this, but I have no choice. I still can’t do long division, any algebra, geometry, dates, formulas nothing like that.

When I google stuff, it doesn’t help, maybe I don’t know how to google JavaScript? I know I can’t cut and paste JS for some reason. I read replies on boards and it makes no sense. I can’t even keep up with replies here…

1 Like

Honestly, I just search up exactly what I need or sometimes even copy and paste my code into the search bar. Sometimes the replies confuse me too. I am the type of person who needs to try countless times to understand something I don’t get. Quite unfortunate you HAVE to learn JavaScript for work, because being forced to learn something you hate is terrible. Maybe try learning with blocks? It’s sounds stupid I know, but maybe you can start from there and work yourself up gradually? I recommend Code.org.

Have you tried note-taking? If you write notes you can just refer back to them whenever you need, instead of trying to keep it all inside your head.

I haven’t got to where I’m writing any code yet…I can’t do anything without step by step instructions. Maybe I could try that once I have actual code. What are blocks? I need something that doesn’t use math/science/whatever it is smart people do.

I tried keeping notes… no help. I look back and all i can do is repeat the exercise with instructions. No idea what any of it means.

Blocks are code that is already formatted for you, so you can just click and drag to make code, like Scratch. For example:
Way easier in my opinion.
Would you like me to reexplain the exercise to you, without using any unfamiliar words?

1 Like

Is Scratch/Blocks another language? I don’t recognize any of the commands (I don’t know what they are called) Is Scratch/Blocks something I should learn before JavaScript? I know there is React and other weird stuff that goes with JavaScript. I really don’t like the click/drag feature on code academy quizes…when i see all the blank spaces i give up real fast.

I’m pretty sure Scratch uses JavaScript, and Code.org the site I mentioned before uses all types of languages. However, no background knowledge is needed to use blocks. I don’t know why you have the click/drag on quizzes, because that’s not the case for me.

I guess I’ll try to learn blocks then? I really hope it’s not hard…I don’t know what any of that code/commands/color blocks does. Is that JavaScript?

I was referring to the format of the format of the quiz i posted earlier, where you have to fill in the blanks by dragging answers into them.

I’m honestly not the best person to talk to about blocks, since I write my own code.

What @h1lo says about not givings up is true-you just need to keep at it. As well, if you took the Python 2 course (which is free), you will learn many of the same concepts-variables, loops, functions, etc, but the syntax is much easier. Then, when you come to learn JavaScript again, it will be easier to pick up the syntax. Another useful thing to do is to give yourself projects to do. Write out step by step instructions of what you want to do. After that, write psuedo-code. This is just English(or whatever your preferred language is) instructions that are written a bit like code. That way you get the problem solving done first, and you just have to write out the syntax.

What is also helpful is to find small little challenges, say on the internet. When come across one, think about how you would solve it, if you had to do it with pen/paper(or whatever medium you like). Think about the steps involved, and how you would accomplish the task. Next, think about how you would write instructions out for your friend, then write them out. Lastly, take those instructions and turn them into code. You might have to Google/look up the syntax, but that’s ok-everyone does it! What it will get you to do is to cement some knowledge of the language.

As for blocks-there is no syntax learning involved, really. All of the possible blocks are presented to you, are they are quite self-explanatory, so all you really have to do is think about the problem solving involved.

1 Like

I’ve tried projects but I don’t know what to do without instructions. I’ve tried some challenges on the internet but i couldn’t get even the most simple one; calling a function…I still don’t know how to do that or why/when/anything.

I can write out answers to a problem in real life but I don’t know how to apply it to JavaScript. For example I don’t know how to think that some number is always going to be the same number no matter how much i subtract from it but it is in javascript?

I found a plug in? some download for code blocks for learning c++, do I need to learn c++ then JavaScript with Codeblocks? This is just as confusing as the code and logic.

Hello. If you want to do some block coding, I would recommend Scratch, like @h1lo suggested. Scratch is similar to JavaScript in some sense, while C++ is very different, and probably more difficult than JS.

I see. So it’s Scratch I need to learn?

Scratch might help you with learning hoe variables, etc work. But if you didn’t want to, you could learn Python, which has very similar concepts to JavaScript, but easier syntax.

1 Like

Thank you. I’ve been trying for 4+ months with some breaks but each time i take a few days break I have to start the lessons all over because I can’t remember anything.

Hey there!

Before I give my suggestions: I think it’s important to take the positives from what you have done so far, you’ve stuck to something you find very frustrating. A lot of people would give up for good at his point. And at the end of the day, it’s commendable you’ve stuck it out this far.

Suggestions:

Build fundamentals. This doesn’t mean writing a lot of code, but thinking about what each concept represents, and how the code is structured. This might mean that you need to find the reference material that particularly helps you in this regard in a clear fashion.

Slow is stronger than fast Many great learners tackle the big concepts slowly. You can only take in stuff at the pace in which you understand it.

• Algebra is somewhat related to programming (but definitely not required. If you want to get some clear material on that you can see .khan academy. (free). I personally found going back to sharpen my skills helped me structure things mentally better with code.

• It’s easy to forget code. But it’s actually hard to forget concepts once you pick them up from their core.

Here’s a free online book https://eloquentjavascript.net/, it’s a little advanced at times so it’s not recommendable to go through it too fast. But it does lay out “core” concepts. You can also try finding a youtube channel that explains these concepts really well … unfortunately I only know good python and css (of all things…) channels.

3 Likes

Thank you for the link and book recommendation, I really hope I understand. I do need help with fundamentals but nothing so far has made sense. I have tried kahn in the past for algebra, I couldn’t understand it and gave up after a while.

It has been closer to 6 months of trying to learn Javascript, before I tried codeAcademy I bombed through 2 other online courses. I hate that I have to learn Javascript to stay employable as a designer because apparently nothing uses HTML and CSS anymore (?!?) so that’s the only reason i haven’t given up.

To be frank, I’ve studied 3 years of programming and something about Javascript combined with the Codecademy layout doesn’t work for me personally (I think because of the code editor).

I was able to go through the entire codecademy CS career path (python) but with javascript I always needed to do the exercises in my own text editor.

So for me too, I have to step away from the platform to learn javascript better (it’s a personal thing maybe, I’m not critiquing Codecademy).

As for khan yea, I sometimes had to go back to high school math to review things I used to know (ugh trigonometry!!). There’s no shame in that.

You can always come back to the forums and ask about specific examples.

1 Like