Help with Pandas: what does \ do?

When writing with Pandas what does “” mean and what is it used for?

You must select a tag to post in this category. Please find the tag relating to the section of the course you are on E.g. loops, learn-compatibility

When you ask a question, don’t forget to include a link to the exercise or project you’re dealing with!

If you want to have the best chances of getting a useful answer quickly, make sure you follow our guidelines about how to ask a good question. That way you’ll be helping everyone – helping people to answer your question and helping others who are stuck to find the question and answer! :slight_smile:

A link to your problem wold be helpful

But generally speaking, quotations denote a string.

"kajsdakksb"

"cookies"

"cheese"

If I take the title of the thread to be your question, Python generally treats the backslash as an escape character…

e.g.

the_string = 'this is an escaped string, mm\'kay'
print(the_string)

produces the following output

this is an escaped string, mm'kay

Python knows to treat the ' character in mm'kay as an apostrophe, and not the closing quote for the string, because it is escaped by the backslash.

1 Like

Sorry should be “” as my title asks

Hi, Thanks for the help. Related to the question, why is it that the coder on who takes us through the exercises like this one https://www.codecademy.com/paths/data-science/tracks/data-processing-pandas/modules/dspath-agg-pandas/projects/pandas-shoefly-ab-test

does he always use a \ ? on top of that why is it that the code is not accepted when I try to type it without them, even though I have everything the exact same, except for the usage of \ as I think it makes the code look more confusing.

He uses

print(ad_clicks
.groupby([‘experimental_group’, ‘is_click’]).user_id
.count()
.reset_index()
.pivot(
columns= ‘is_click’,
index= ‘experimental_group’, values= ‘user_id’)
.reset_index())

I would use the same thing just like this and it wouldn’t work

print(ad_clicks.groupby([‘experimental_group’, ‘is_click’]).user_id
.count().reset_index() .pivot( columns= ‘is_click’,
index= ‘experimental_group’,
values= ‘user_id’).reset_index())

Hi @micro2635518921

I think some characters/formatting are being removed from what you’re posting. Can you wrap the code blocks appropriately so the forum keeps the formatting please?

The Codecademy forum provides a quick and easy way to post properly-formatted code. All you need to do is look for the </> icon in the menu bar which appears at the top of the text box while you type.

capture

Press Enter to go to a blank line, click that icon, and you will see this:

capture_r

Just copy and paste the code directly into that highlighted portion, and we’ll be able to see exactly what you mean. :slight_smile: