Help with HTML/External CSS

Hi -
I’m working on my first HTML/CSS project from scratch - I can’t get the CSS to connect with the html. This is the code I have typed so far, but the header is not showing up crimson, which is the style I’ve assigned it. I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. I thought I followed all of the steps.

Here’s the code for the HTML

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html>

<head>

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css">

</head>

<title>Megan's Coding Cheat-Sheet</title>

<body>

<h1 class="header">Coding Notes</h1>

Here’s the code for the CSS:

.header {

color: Crimson;

}

Shouldn’t the header show up as crimson? Did I forget something in the link? I also tried ‘a href=’ instead of just ‘href=’ but that didn’t work either. Very new at this and trying to learn as much as possible. Thanks so much in advance for any help anyone’s willing or able to give.

Thanks,
Megan

This is the OP - It didn’t include everything I typed. This was the code:

Coding Notes

OP here - it also is not displaying my title.
And in the question it’s not including the full code I typed in? It just says Coding Notes in my reply and in the original it’s not showing the full code.

You need to use markup/format:

How do I format code in my posts?

As for your problem, are the css and html file in the same folder and is the stylesheet file named style.css?

Okay so here’s the code:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<link href="style.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet">
</head>
<title>Coding</title>
<body>
<h1 class="header">Coding</h1>

the href attribute points to the location of the file, are you sure its correct? The other attributes look fine.

It’s one of the projects created by codecademy - there are two tabs. One is the html (index.html) and the other is the css (style.css) so I think it’s right unless I’m missing something?

can you post the exercise/lesson url?

Left of the tabs should also be a directory icon, so you can see the file and folder structure.

I had the wrong name for the css file - I thought it was style.css but it was styles.css so basically the first response was right, I just didn’t catch that what I wrote was different from what it said.