HELP - Strange printed message returned by code

1. Review functions

The code keeps returning at the end print:

<function shut_down at 0x7fbba2ee7b18>

Not entirely sure how this is coming about.

```python

Below is my code

def shut_down(s):
(4)if (s) == “yes”:
(8)return “Shutting down”
(4)elif (s) == “no”:
(8)return “Shutdown aborted”
(4)else:
(8)return “Sorry”

In brackets I’ve indicated the number of spaces I’ve used for the whitespace for the respective line.

<do not remove the three backticks above>

Do you mean that (the quote above) is printing to the console? You’re calling your function incorrectly (in a way that only prints the information about it). Do you know how to call functions?

Cheers for the reply,

I’m not entirely sure what you mean:

The task is as follows:

First, def a function, shut_down, that takes one argument s. Don’t forget the parentheses or the colon!

Then, if the shut_down function receives an s equal to “yes”, it should return “Shutting down”

Alternatively, elif s is equal to “no”, then the function should return “Shutdown aborted”.

Finally, if shut_down gets anything other than those inputs, the function should return “Sorry”

From my understanding I’ve called the function to return a string depending on s, makes sense to print it afterwards so I can get visual feedback as to what value of s was input.

I’ve defined the function to output the strings depending on s, my main query is where that console output is coming from.

The return keyword ends the function, returning whatever is associated with it, like return "Sorry" for instance… that will return "Sorry" if the else statement is executed.

But here:

When we call a function, we use the function name and insert any argument/s within parentheses so the function knows what to use/do when it’s called.

I don’t see where you have called your function in your code… If you can copy and paste it here in Preformatted text, that’d be great.

more info : https://www.tutorialspoint.com/python/python_functions.htm

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.