Help! Intimidated by Lodash project in Full-Stack developer course

Okay! So I’m starting on the Lodash project in the Full Stack Web Developer career path.

It’s starting to talk about some things I haven’t seen before and I honestly just feel a little bit intimidated by all of it. It’s talking about Lodash, loading things into HTML headings and it tasks about ‘bash’ as though I should already know a lot about it. All of it is a bit overwhelming, but not difficult. I’m able to follow the tasks but I still feel like I’m just deep diving into a black pool and don’t know up from down.

MY QUESTION: Is this normal? Should I know more? Or is it just touching on topics I will learn later?

Expect some bumps in the road. It is rarely smooth sailing until we get pointed with some wind in our sails. In sailing, we never point at our destination, but zig-zag our way toward it. The wind is never at our back, but approaching obliquely from port aft or starboard aft, alternating between the two as we zig and zag.

If we hit a wall, then it’s time for a segue into more fundamental topics which should help us over that hurdle. For instance, look for a BASH refresher. It is a short course about the Command Line which you should be able to find in your syllabus, or in the main catalog. bash is the Linux version or equivalent of CMD in DOS/Windows, and even more closely related to PowerShell in Windows 10.

The Lodash project is JavaScript, but to test in the shell, we use Node.js.

node test/lodash.js

That is the command we use to test our first task: Creating the _ object.

$ node test/lodash.js
Lodash Object Tests:
1 - _ is defined - Passed!
2 - The value of _ is an object - Passed!
$ 

Beyond that, we don’t need to be intimately aware of bash, as the tests for all the tasks are built in (in the test folder) as we can see if we inspect our LE folder.

The only command that may come in handy is clear if you wish to clear the console. The command to use to test each task is given at the end of the task instructions. If for some reason the test won’t run, check the file name spelling in the above list.

2 Likes

Thank you @mtf !

I’ll keep at it! :smile:

2 Likes

@mtf described the details of lodash.js and how it fits into the big picture very well.

From a student’s perspective, the lodash section was very frustrating. It introduces concepts you really don’t need to worry about at this point. The main intent of this section is to work on javascript logic. It has nothing to do with bash, node, JS frameworks…just concentrate on the logic of your programming and coding it out. There is no shame in copying and pasting the solution code for parts of the exercise that don’t pertain to JS logic.

1 Like

Thank you @jeffa , I work in healthcare in intensive care settings (trying to move to tech soon; burnout) so I’m not unexposed to the concept of being out of your depths or thrown into critical thinking situations where you just have to be okay with the idea that you don’t fully understand what you’re being told to do–only that you’re able to think it through and do it.

I wasn’t sure if through Codeacademy that was the case as well or if I had missed something along the way; knowing that the course was just inadvertently exposing me to topics discussed later in the course (which I ironically am covering today and feel SO relieved to know about them now) really made me feel less like I missed something and more like ‘it’s time to put the critical thinking hat on and code’ :man_technologist:t3:

You’re welcome. Lots of help available in the forums or discord channel. Making mistakes is how we learn, and we won’t be harming a patient in the process…I’m a retired foot surgeon :grimacing:. Good luck with your studies.

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.