if len(original) > 0 and original.isalpha():
print original
word = original.lower()
first = word[0]
new_word = word + first + pyg
else:
print 'empty'
print new_word[1:len(new_word)]

on the last line, it isnt suposed to take from the index 1 to the len(new_word)-1? i tried the code with "len(new_word)" and "len(new_word)+1" to "fix" what i though was necesary, but in both ways i got the same result: its ok!!!. someone could explain it please? thanks!!!

Hi just move that line print new_word[1:len(new_word)] inside the if statement amd set it equale to a new new_word like that new_word = new_word[1:len(new_word)] then add a print statment that will print the new word just like that print new_word

hi @wizmarco!!! thanks for your quick answer. maybe i didnt explain my question right, but my problem is that i dont understand why the code do consider the last index of the [1:len(...)], because, as i understood, the code should not consider the last parameter of the range, i am right? or is that in the case that the range does consider the last index it is consider by the code too?

Hi,
the len() gives out the lenght of for example the word "hello" with 5, in case of the indexing alltime starts at 0, so you are right that index[5] in this example will not be printed. But if you would use the above calling of print sth[1:len(sth)-1) it would cut, as wanted, the first letter at index [0] but as even, as not wanted, the last letter on index[4], too, because the highest digit, in this example with the word "hello" 5, will not be printed.

If a word = "hello" and you will print it out, the
first index is [0:h]
the second [1:e]
the third [2:l]
the fourth [3:l] and
the fifth [4:o]

But in case of len(word) you will get the digit 5, so the calling of

print word[0:len(word)] is the same as
print word[0:5]
what means 6 indexes of which the last one will not be called, so your print out will be
hello
word[0:5] > 6 indexes > first index[0] > last index[5] not progressed

I hope I could explain it in an understandable way :slightly_smiling:
And if not, please feel free to ask

Greets