Help appreciated!

https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/javascript-beginner-en-3bmfN/0/6?curriculum_id=506324b3a7dffd00020bf661

Oops, try again. It looks like your list function isn't printing the right output.

var list = function(friends) {
    for (var friends in friends["firstName","lastName","number","address"]){
        console.log(friends["firstName","lastName","number","address"]);
    }
};

@devace71301 you have two problems here...

Your suppose to repeat just in friends..:

for (var key in friends){

Hard to give a hint there.... And then since you have your key

console.log(friends[key]);

More importantly do you understand what it does?

Is it for listing purpose? For example, when somebody is searching a certain person, these information would show up if the name matches the name that's in the contact.

I am sorry, but I didn't really get it. Do I just put key in there? Or do I replace key with firstName, lastName, number, and address?

Sorry for lateness... so basically i dont know what your exercice is suppose to do... but i told you this:

console.log(friends[key].firstName);
    }
};

So basically above you can see there is key. Well that key starts with the 0 index itterating through the friends object.. so at 0's index there is going to be bill gates so essentially its doing:

console.log(friends[0].firstName);

which translates to...

console.log(bill.firstName);

which translates to:

"Bill Gates"

Now then it goes to second.. which is steve jobs:

console.log(friends[1].firstName);

which translates to...

console.log(steve.firstName);

which translates to:

"Steve Jobs"

Understand(It basically itterates over the object which in this case is bill and steve. Key is the index number it is itterating in)?

Thank you! I think I understand what you are saying. But I tried it like the code below and it still gives me an error message. And it only prints out Bill and Steve.
Here's the link: https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/javascript-beginner-en-3bmfN/0/6?curriculum_id=506324b3a7dffd00020bf661#

}
};

Yes it is suppose to print Bill and Steve because you are printing the firstName of the "objects" bieng itterated. But for this lesson your just suppose to do:

console.log(friends[key]);
    }
};

Basically you dont need to print firstname but you just need to print the actual whole key, as im preety sure it said in instructions(i may be wrong).

It says that it will print out all the entries we have in our friends object (so I guess that means everything)
However, I did tried that but it didn't work. It did print all the informations in the console. But it still gives an error: Oops, try again. It looks like your list function isn't printing the right output.

https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/javascript-beginner-en-3bmfN/0/6?curriculum_id=506324b3a7dffd00020bf661#

Have a look at the instructions, what do they say to print for each entry in friends?

@devace71301 i mislead you sorry.. your suppose to print the actual firstname of all objects..

var list = function(friends){
  for (var key in friends) {
  console.log(friends[key].firstName)
  }   
}

then dont forget to pass friends as arguent

03. In the loop, use console.log to print out the key.

That's alright! But when I was trying to call the function, it tells me an ReferenceError: key is not defined
But I did define key as a variable in the for loop. I tried to put it in the for loop part, but my browser crushed so I guess it makes it an infinite loop. So I really don't know what is wrong here. I am sorry that I have so many questions.

}
};

list(friends[key]);

Thank you! I just saw that.

the problem is when you pass it as an argument..y you do:

list(friends)

first of all key is not visible outside that for loop. second you must pass the whole object to itterate through it.

Well, that doesn't really work either...

For the third time:
Instructions are to print the keys, they don't even mention first names.

I tried, it didn't work. But it did print all the information in the console

You're not printing the keys though

I am confused. So how should I print the keys?

console.log(key)

When I put it outside of the loop, it says that key is not defined.