Having Issues Installing Python 3 and Python Packages for Off-Platform Project: Coded Correspondence

I have been struggling with this for several hours and am getting very frustrated.

I am running Windows 10.

I am doing the “Off-Platform Project: Coded Correspondence” in the Learn Python3 Course (https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-python-3/informationals/python3-coded-communication)

I completed the recommended “Learn the Command Line Course” (https://www.codecademy.com/learn/learn-the-command-line) wherein I installed and used GitBash, which I would like to continue to use to continue the Python3 course.

I am now at the Install Python by following the directions in this article on Installing Python.

This is where my torture began.

I have read several articles regarding using GitBash with Anaconda (conda) and they all seem to assume that I’ve done something before.

For example, this article here: Setting Up Conda in Git Bash

I have GitBash installed.
I have Anaconda installed.

I am stuck at the “Add the conda shell script to your .bashrc” step. It’s talking about bash aliases, (which is what I thought ~/.bash_profile was all about??), and now it’s talking about something with sqlite3 and a .bashrc file that does not exist on my computer nor is it mentioned in the instructions for the lesson.

I’ve been doing nothing but going down one rabbit hole and tunneling into another one and then another one for the past 4 hours. I am afraid to enter this sqlite3 rabbit hole and only to find myself tunneling into yet another one.

Can someone please walk me through this extremely new process for me?

I understand the frustration. But please don’t post duplicate topics. I replied to you on the other thread. Check:

I appreciate your reply on that thread. Unfortunately a variable has changed where I am not using Python3, I am using Anaconda because it apparently already has Python3 and Jupyter Notebooks, something that is mentioned later in the Project and one of the many articles I came across recommended Anaconda because it is more inclusive.

Please forgive my ignorance on this. I am really trying but am quickly losing hope if I can’t even get the pre-requisites set up to do the Off-Platform Project. The fact of the matter is that the instructions in the Off-Platform Project: Coded Correspondence are inadequate, or at least were not written in mind for someone who literally just finished the Learn the Command Line course which recommends an editor (GitBash), but then doesn’t work after installing Python. I spent hours doing that course for nothing apparently because now I have to do it through Windows Command Prompt or something, I don’t know.

No apologies necessary. Everyone has to start somewhere. I struggle with stuff as well.

You’re definitely not the first person to say that about the instructions, (which is why el_cocodrilo wrote that post about setting up conda in git bash back in 2020.)

The command line is the same thing as the command prompt. the .bashrc is a Bash shell script that runs every time it’s started (you open the command prompt). This might be a bit wordy, but it’ll give you a possibly better idea of what it is. From that article: ‘You can put any command in that file that you could type at the command prompt.’

For later reading: on the difference between .bash-profile and .bashrc

For this step, follow the instructions in section B.

Also, a good idea might be to take a break and walk away from the computer for a bit. It’s a lot to digest for sure.

This is a comic that some of us have posted over the years b/c of it’s laughable accuracy. Ouch.

I am going to take your advice and walk away from the computer for a while, probably for the rest of the night.

If you were a completely new user like me, what direction would you take just starting fresh and getting Python3 set up and working on a computer running Windows 10, but still be able to use the language learned (cd, pwd, ls, mv, cp) and not necessarily have to use GitBash - how would you do it?

Imagine my frustration when I did manage to have Python installed (I think?), but then installed Jupyter Notebooks through pip only to have it error out when I tried to open the file in the project that I’m working on stating that Jupyter wasn’t installed.

I’m starting to think that it was downloading and storing the files in the roaming folder of the user of the computer. I guess it doesn’t really matter now since I’ve uninstalled everything and will start fresh tomorrow.

I think it’s good that you uninstalled everything and will start fresh from the beginning tomorrow.

I have a Mac and I went about it differently years ago (not without frustration and reading a million different sites.). I used pip to install things (but I think I also used anaconda. See cartoon above). I also don’t use diff environments. I primarily use Google Colab (built like Jupyter but cloud-based app. You can write and execute Python in it) which works for me.