đź’» Hacktoberfest 2020 (by DigitalOcean) [ONGOING]

Is that time of the year again! The guys over at DigitalOcean are hosting the awesome Hacktoberfest again and that can only mean one thing: a chance to win the free t-shirt! Just kidding (or am I?), the main benefit of Hacktoberfest is to make it as easy, painless and accessible as possible for new developers to contribute to open source projects on GitHub.

If you are learning a language and have the goal of being a professional dev, I’m sure you’ve heard of GitHub. However, it might feel daunting or even scary to contribute to an open project. After all, if you are a newbie like me, you might be thinking “Am I good enough?”, “Do I actually know what I am doing?” and the classic “I probably don’t know enough to contribute anything meaningful”.

So! Hacktoberfest is our opportunity to find beginner-friendly maintainers and repos that have already accepted that we aren’t seasoned devs, and are still willing to hear us out (read our code) and give us a chance. You know how exciting it is to see your code pull request go online, reviewed and accepted? It’s an amazing feeling, trust me. So let’s get to it.

This is the landing page. Link here: https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/

The main things to know are:

1. You need to register with DigitalOcean. That’s how they will track your user and your pull requests (PRs).
  2. You want them to track your progress because that’s how we get the sweet merchandise, that Hacktoberfest 2020 t-shirt! You’ll need 4 PRs to get it, though.

Resources

Link to the page: https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/details

Here is where you’ll get to read the rules, how to participate, and even links to repositories based on your experience level! So easy.

Events

Link to the page: https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/events

Arguably the best part of Hacktoberfest, search the list for events hosted near you and maybe make long lasting friendships and connections that will help you grow as a dev!
For example, in Jersey City, NJ the local DEFCON201 chapter will be hosting a livestream on twitch for Hacktoberfest! (link)

More help

And of course, here at the CC Community we love to help each other, so feel free to drop comments below if you need help with your first PR on GitHub, if you are looking for a team to tackler larger problems, or anything else!

7 Likes

A few updates guys!

1. Once you register your profile with DigitalOcean, you’ll find a link to their Discord server. JOIN IT. It’s super helpful to find open projects looking for contributors.
  2. There are A TON of events ongoing during the month, and this is a great opportunity to network and discover other communities. Examples:
    1. Major League Hacking Oct 6th, 6-8pm EST
    2. DEV/Forem team Hacktoberfest Welcome Stream[Twitch] Oct 5th, 1-2:20pm EST
    3. Forem Project/Issue Walkthrough with Nick Taylor/Forem Team Oct 6th, 4-5:30pm EST
    4. Microsoft Quantum Hackathon Oct 8th, 11am PT
    5. Official DigitalOcean Hacktoberfest Celebration Oct 15th, 5:30-8:30pm EDT

I’m also going to drop this project here that is looking for beginners and experts! They have open coding issues, designer issues, app issues and data collection issues

More updates! Its never too late to participate! I found a few cool beginner-friendly repositories that I think are awesome for first timers contributing to open source:

Letra

The premise is simple: a Chrome extension that displays a new word (with its translation) in a language of your choice every time you open a blank tab. The idea is to help you slowly pick up a language effortlessly.

From the repo:

:handshake: Contributing

Contributions, issues and feature requests are welcome!

Feel free to check the issues page for any open issues. If this is your first time contributing to Open Source, check out the Contributing Guidelines.

You can also suggest a new feature by creating an Issue. Please wait for confirmation before working on it.

Good for First Timers

Link to the repo: GitHub - jayehernandez/letra-extension: Passively learn a new language every time you open a new tab

2 Likes

DeckDeckGo

From their contribution page :

Getting Started Contributing to DeckDeckGo

Hey there :wave:

Are you interested to contribute to our open source project? That would be awesome, we are always looking for contributors :+1:

The following guide is here to try to guide you through the process of contributing to our project in case you do not know where to get started. If you have further questions, we are happy to help, just ping us on our Slack channel.

How to get Involved

Everyone is welcomed to contribute to our projects, no matter how experienced you are. DeckDeckGo was an important learning experience for ourselves and we would be happy if contributing to our project is also profitable to you in terms of learning.

Link to the repo: GitHub - deckgo/deckdeckgo: The web open source editor for presentations

1 Like

Mitype

From their contributing page:

Pull Requests

• All pull requests must have an issue linked with it. Please create an issue if it doesn’t exist already before creating a pull request.
  • Do not create pull requests for typo fixes or renaming items, you may create issues instead.
  • Creating an issue beforehand helps discuss bugs and enhancements before work begins, preventing wasted effort.
  • Comment on an issue if you are willing to work on it if no one else is assigned already.
  1. Follow the styleguides.
  2. Single feature or bug-fix per PR.
  3. Make your modification compact - don’t reformat source code in your request. It makes code review more difficult.

Link to the repo: GitHub - Mithil467/mitype: Typing speed test in terminal

1 Like

ES4X

This is the EcmaScript (5.1+) language support for Eclipse Vert.x

From their issues page:

Many (if not most) developers speak English as second language. Having the docs translated to your own language would help lowering the barrier to new users.

Currently only English docs are up to date, the existing sub docs:

• pt - Portuguese
  • zn - Chinese

Are out of date and could receive a review. The work doesn’t require any programming knowledge, or es4x specific knowledge.

Fork the repo, open the docs folder clone the folders, except language codes or .vuepress .

Link to the repo: GitHub - reactiverse/es4x: 🚀 fast JavaScript 4 Eclipse Vert.x

PS: this is a great first PR for those that don’t feel they have quite the skill set yet to contribute in code, but still like to participate (since this involved translating documentation, still very important!).

1 Like