Guys need help on this problem

Today, Monk has come to visit a huge castle called the Castle of Programming. Monk desperately wants to visit the castle. However, to do so, the Master of the castle kept a challenge in front of him. Monk has been given a series of numbers from 1 to 10.The series includes each number from 1 to
10 exactly once. Monk just needs to find the sum of all the numbers in this series.

guys pls help ASAP. using pyhton 2.7.6

To find the sum, just do:

a = [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10]

print sum(a)

Please note, I used Python 2.7.10 but it should work for yours also.

1 Like

Hi @vineetsinghkumar ,

There are numerous ways to solve the problem. @bayoishola20’s code will get Monk into the Castle of Programming.

Another approach would be to write and call a function. Monk could use the function as a master key that provides entry into other castles that require sums from 1 to different numbers. See below …

def monk_key(n):
    # provide the key to get into the castle,
    # which is the sum of all numbers from 1 to n
    return n * (n + 1) // 2

# Get into the Castle of Programming (1 to 10)
print(monk_key(10))
# Get into the Castle of Machine Learning (1 to 1000)
print(monk_key(1000))

The function uses the expression n * (n + 1) // 2, which gives the sum of all numbers from 1 to n.

See Codecademy: Functions.

I don’t remember doing such an exercise though. :wink: :

This suggestion does make so much sense!

Thanks! :slight_smile:

not working bro, you can find the problem there:- https://www.hackerearth.com/hello-world/monk-and-castle/

please visit this link and provide some guidance

The link you sent didn’t go directly there. Am I meant to go through some exercises first?

I just did. it. You needed to comment out the initial exercise. See full code below:

'''
# Read input from stdin and provide input before running code

name = raw_input('What is your name?\n')
print 'Hi, %s.' % name

print 'hello, world!'''

import math
a = (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10)

print sum(a)

thanks brother, i will contact you if i got stuck again…

You’re welcome.

Have fun coding! :slight_smile:

That platform is cool…

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.