Grep l

<PLEASE USE THE FOLLOWING TEMPLATE TO HELP YOU CREATE A GREAT POST!>

<Below this line, add a link to the EXACT exercise that you are asking about.>
https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-the-command-line/lessons/redirection/exercises/grep-i?action=lesson_resume

<Below this line, describe in what way does your code behave incorrectly? Include ALL error messages.>
I am stuck on section 10/13 on Grep l. There are two tasks the first one asks you to enter “grep -R Arctic /home/ccuser/workspace/geogrpahy”. I can get that one ok. But the second one won’t go through for me. It says to enter “grep -R1 Arctic /home/ccuser/workspace/geogrpahy”. When I put that in it won’t work. Then I get the “Keep Trying/Get Code” box and click get code, but it won’t give me the code! What am I doing wrong? The only thing I notice is that the “1” in “-R1” that I type in looks different from the one “1” given in the task box. I can’t copy and paste either, so I need to know how to type it in.

<Below this line, add a screenshot of your whole web browser so that we can see what you see.>
https://onedrive.live.com/?auth=1&cid=49EDBE2835C39EDB&id=49EDBE2835C39EDB!35040&parId=49EDBE2835C39EDB!35039&o=OneUp

First Line: grep -R Arctic /home/ccuser/workspace/geography
[ ENTER ]
Second Line: grep -Rl Arctic /home/ccuser/workspace/geography
[ ENTER ]

That’s what I have been doing. How do you get your “1” to look like that in “grep -R1 Arctic”. It’s different from the “1” on my keyboard. I’m thinking that’s where the problem is coming from.

Just realized that’s the letter “L” and not number “1”. Thank God for YouTube lol.

1 Like

Yeah, you’re right. That’s where the problem is coming from.It is the small letter L that might look like a 1 in this font.

When you type man grep and scroll through it, you will see that the option -l is just a short version and you could also use --files-with-matches. Also you will see there are no numbers being used as a first argument.

Edit: Ah, you saw it already

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.