Graphing Cumulative Project - Constellation Orion

Here is a link to my code for the Constellation Orion Project as part of the “Visualize Data with Python” Skill Path. Any feedback would be helpful. Thank you!

Specific Questions:

• I have noticed a difference in how my 3D graph looks as compared to some other submitted projects, particularly the range of the Z axis. How do I adjust that?

-How do I label the Z axis?

Hi @jhope2002 .

Have a look at this reply for a little detail concerning issues with the z-axis- Orion Constellation Project: What’s wrong with my z-axis?

As for your label I think the easiest is using the axis reference you have ax and the set_zlabel() method since the z-labelling would be unique to certain 3D axes (hence the fact a plt.zlabel helper function doesn’t exist).

Personally I’d encourage you to get in the habit now of using figure and axis methods to deal with your images instead of the matplotllib.pyplot helper functions. It takes a little getting used to you but it does become worthwhile.

1 Like

Here is my revised version of the project. I made changes to use Axes class methods as opposed to helper methods and things came together well! I was able to find coordinates for the stars in the Summer Triangle, and was able to map them in both 2d and 3d, but it doesn’t look like I believe it should. Perhaps it is just the scale as I know they are pretty far apart. Is there anything else I am missing here?

Thanks!

1 Like

Ah great. Yeah that looks more like it. I’m not sure I’ll find the time to plot the summer triangle myself but a quick check of Wikipedia suggests Deneb is actually nowhere near the other two (relatively speaking).

Vega: 25 ly
Deneb: 3550 ly
Altair: 16.6 ly

I think that was one of the points of the originally linked paper, noting that stars we think of as being close together (notable constellations and asterisms) are in fact nowhere near one another, they just happen to lie along the same line of sight. I’m not saying you’re unaware of this fact but your plot may be an excellent example of this.

If you’re not familiar with it Stellarium is an excellent open source (I think) resource for this and a notable meeting point of computation and astronomy- https://stellarium.org/

1 Like

Definitely going to spend some time on Stellarium. Thanks for the help!

1 Like