Got me going in circles!

Hello All,

First time poster here! I am very new to this world of programming and I have no idea of what I’m getting myself into. My current job background is Engineering Design and since it is so fickle, I wanted to be in a position where I can have stabilty and security. Since I took a programming class a few years ago, and throughly enjoyed it, I decided to fully commit to this.

Right now, I’m taking the beginners Java course as a free member. I wanted to find some websites that I can practice with when I’m not taking the course. I’ve already registered with some sites to help. The problem is, I don’t know what the ■■■■ their asking me to do! The example problems are NOTHING like what I see when I’m on Codecademy. While the excercies help, I feel like its holding my hand while I solve the problems. When I go on other sites, I’m looking at the problems as if their in another language. I don’t know how to start, what methods to use. And these are considered beginners/easy problems! I’m stuck!

Can anyone give me any suggestions, tips, a smoke signal, your brain and help figure out how to navigate through these problems?

Thank you kindly!

Come here to learn the syntax of the language - how to read and write it,
Learn to use the built in methods of the language ,
Learn to use the data structures of the language,
Learn how to use the algorithms of the language

From there it is up to you to solve the problems with the tools you’ve been given
and to build the tools if they aren’t built in

5 Likes

I’m currently unemployed so I can’t afford to go PRO right now. If there is any way I can practice with being a free member, then please, direct me to it.

Try to take notes during a lesson you’re going though, write down what to do some extra learning about, such as methods for example.
There are resources/lists out there that tell you what kinds of methods do and etc. And the more reading you do on things –and testing those things out in a editor– you’ll have a better understanding of Java syntax and how things work and what they mean. Do a bit of extra reading on each thing you learn :slightly_smiling_face:, especially if you don’t have a full understanding of them.

I hope this helps~ :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I’ll do that. Thanks for the advice.

1 Like