Good call to update the old JS lectures

It was a good call to update the old JS course. No offence, but the old version(this version) is boring, confusing, misleading, making little to no sense to a beginner, contains bugs and have too many loopholes/workarounds to getting past a lecture.

The new lectures/courses are awesome and very well thought through. I will however complete this one, just for the sake of finding out what else it's supposed to teach.

P.S. What's up with the template? I don't like it at all. Why are words getting random color and emphasis? ...go figure...!

EDIT: Moved my message away from the code block of the template. And put some experimental code just for testing this message template, as it's new to me.

// Some experimental code to test this template
var hello = function (msg) {
    console.log("You typed:", msg);
}

hello("Hello Template!");

well, it said replace this line with your code, the backtics:

```

are used for format, so indent and html code shows. normal text shouldn't place between the backticks

Oh, I see... I accidentally put my message in the code section. I will edit my message so it's readable. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the quick reply.

yes, you did :wink:

we have this template to help people make good topics related to exercise question, before there where even more empty posts or posts which boiled down to i don't understand anything of it, making the job of the helping side really difficult

Still, sometimes, you get people asking very vague questions, without posting links to which of the exercise that they are facing problem and posting codes without proper format. :joy:

Yes, now I love the template, once I took the time to read each section properly. It's great, and help produce good posts. Great job!

unfortunately yes, if you have an idea of how to improve this even more, we would love to hear this from people and see if we can incoperate it.

As you might have experienced, the first few topics you make you do get all ready a lot of information and info boxes to remind you to make a good quality topic

yes, credit to albions for that, she designed the templates :slight_smile:

Making quality posts makes helping a lot easier, so you will get a better and faster response, improving the overall quality of the forum :slight_smile:

@slicendice_software, I would beg to differ just a bit

I just started this month and I start on the old version first. Now, learning both old and new concurrently to reinforce the knowledge. I would say I enjoyed learning using both tracks. I was bit worried the old track will be taken down too soon before I managed to finish it.

Yes, it has its cons : bugs, loopholes/workarounds and such.

However, I don't think it confuses me as much nor making no sense to beginner (cuz I'm total beginner here). I particularly enjoy the engagement of every small project in the end of sub lessons and the author try to encourage users to think more on how to improve the small project by fine tuning them.

I would be glad to hear if they decide to migrate the old curriculum into the new checking ecosystem for the new coming users. The new one is really great. But, the old one contains more content (i think) :slightly_smiling_face:

I think the problem with me and the old lectures is that I already know quite a bit about coding. What is confusing for me is that in the middle of a course about objects, we suddenly start making code from scratch that should use a switch statement on a hard coded movie database that doesn't even need so called objects.

here is the link to the course/lecture I am referring to.

Here is what I would have quickly scratched together for a somewhat decent movie collection:

// Declaring my movies collection as an Array
var movies = [ ];

// This function creates a new movie and push it to my collection
var addMovie = function(title, review) {
    var movie = { };

movie.title = title;
    movie.review = review;
    movies.push(movie);
};

// Adding some movies to the collection
addMovie("Toy Story 2", "Great story. Mean prospector.");
addMovie("Finding Nemo", "Cool animation, and funny turtles.");
addMovie("The Lion King", "Great songs.");

// this function returns a movie review based on a movie search
// If the title is not found in the collection it returns
// "I don't know!"
var getReview = function (movie) {
    for (var m in movies) {
        if (movies[m].title === movie) {
            return movies[m].review;
        }
    }
    return "I don\'t know!";
};

// Printing out some reviews
console.log(getReview("Toy Story 2"));
console.log(getReview("Finding Nemo"));
console.log(getReview("The Lion King"));
console.log(getReview("The Matrix"));

The output is as follows:

Great story. Mean prospector.
Cool animation, and funny turtles.
Great songs.
I don't know!

So this code does the correct thing, but it does not use the switch statement as requested, so I can't proceed until I rewrite the code exactly as I would never ever write any code in any language for this particular type of problem. :wink:

UPDATE:

Here's what I was supposed to write: (sorry if I solved this one for you guys)

// creating some hard coded movie collection. BAD CODE!
var getReview = function (movie) {
    switch(movie) {
        case "Toy Story 2":
            return  "Great story. Mean prospector.";
        case "Finding Nemo":
            return "Cool animation, and funny turtles.";
        case "The Lion King" :
            return  "Great songs.";
        default:
            return "I don\'t know!";
    }
};

// Printing out some reviews
console.log(getReview("Toy Story 2"));
console.log(getReview("Finding Nemo"));
console.log(getReview("The Lion King"));
console.log(getReview("The Matrix"));

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.