Git merge Part 5 Step 2

Im stuck at the exact same part.

Typing: ‘git merge origin/master’ or ‘git merge origin’ or ‘git merge master’ does not do anything and gives the same error as in the printscreen submitted by sandsbe20.

6 Likes

Alright, after some more trial and error… here is how I got past it in the end:

1. Pressed Get Help in bottom right and clicked restart.
  2. Got to step #2 again and same problem as described in this thread.
  3. Closed the bash terminal by clicking the X
  4. New session
  5. cd my-quizzes
  6. git fetch (yes, again!)
  7. git merge origin/master
  8. (At step #3 type): git log

Hope this helps anyone with some error.

136 Likes

great! this solution works fine. but… why we have to do a fetch again!? it’s a bug of codecademy exercises? anyone reported that? and sorry for my english… i’m from Brazil. =D

Thanks - I followed your steps to bypass this error as well.

Thanks for solution!
I did only steps 3-8 from your solution and it works fine!

1 Like

If anybody likes to know, the origin(:grin:) of the problem resides in the last exercise ( 4.git fetch ).
Here is the screenshot for more information:

And the bug is that the science-quizzes won’t be updated unless we close the bash session and open a new one. (Maybe has do with the inner workings of ccterminal.)

Actually a new directory will be created , changing it from ~/workspace/curriculum/ to ~/workspace/curriculum-a/

So ultimate solution is to close and open the bash session at the beginning of every exercise.

15 Likes

This solved my problem

Nice job gertjandw. Thank you!

Thanks a lot gertjandw!

Thank you! This was the solution to the problem. Basically I had done “git fetch” in a wrong way on the previous step.

Yep, same problem and I have found out why.

I went to science-quizzes directory and see that there is still only two files and biology.txt does not exists!

ssssoooo, i created it by myself, added, commited and BAM! Commands in instruction worked well in my bash, but exercise still not passed =( maybe cuz lines in bash are not the same as in example in instruction.

so i think it is some bug in excercise.

upd: passed by closing bash and starting new session in each excersice.

1 Like

Oh my gosh I was stuck here forever… thank you so much!!!

you are a genius man !!!

Genius!!!
This approach works very well.

Thank you barbodgif! I tried various other proposed solutions in this forum to no avail . It was only after I read your post, suggesting that the user close and open a new bash session at the beginning of every exercise, that I was able to continue. So once again, thank you !

If anyone is having this issue, i suggest reading the post made by barbodgif !

1 Like

Thanks for the answer. I was getting frustrated with this step.

THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!

Still helping 16d after posting :stuck_out_tongue:
Thank you :wink:

Thank You for help dude.

Thenks!
That was a great job!