GIT for Mac - cannot install

I am working through " Getting Started with Git and GitHub" setting up my GitHub account and GIT on my MAC. However, I cannot install the GIT software. First - the article on Codecademy doesn’t stay to install the software - just to open Terminal and type “git”. When I do that I get this error:

xcrun: error: invalid active developer path (/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools), missing xcrun at: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/xcrun

This made me think I should install git. So, I downloaded it and now get this error when I try to run the install:

“git-2.23.0-intel-universal-mavericks.pkg” cannot be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

so - I’m good and stuck. No git for me. Any suggestions?

You must select a tag to post in this category. Please find the tag relating to the section of the course you are on E.g. loops, learn-compatibility

When you ask a question, don’t forget to include a link to the exercise or project you’re dealing with!

If you want to have the best chances of getting a useful answer quickly, make sure you follow our guidelines about how to ask a good question. That way you’ll be helping everyone – helping people to answer your question and helping others who are stuck to find the question and answer! :slight_smile:

google your error message

I did, and this is the first result on google. Do you have anything constructive to contribute? Maybe a link that you found through your goole search that lead you to the answer?

Make your query less specific, specifying that results must involve git-2.23.0 is going to rule out 99.9% of viable results
Also your second result is completely viable so you didn’t look very hard at the results you got either…

I don’t speak Turkish (yes you can use google translate in your browser to convert languages). Anyway, for anyone else who stumbles across this forum. The answer which worked for me was found here:
https://blog.pcrisk.com/mac/12915-how-to-open-applications-created-by-unidentified-developer

I ended up having to disable gatekeeper completely using the sudo command sudo spctl --master-disable

there is a translate button
you don’t even need it since it’s a step by step set of pictures, they’re even displayed in your search result
and widening your search will get you plenty of answers
sudo is often used by beginners to force the wrong action, you should be allowing that file, not turn off the feature altogether … unless that’s what you meant, not as some kind of workaround, and there are plenty of guides to be googled saying this, including your turkish one, all of them complete with pictures in color

So no, there’s no grand mystery requiring some long answer beyond google it, because it’s already written in mass-duplicate ready for you to instantly find.

And that’s only if you don’t right click it or whatever mac people do and figure it out through the gui.

I guess he answered your question - no constructive input.

I got some other assistance and found the problem was in my settings. Go to your System Preferences App and then under security. If I remember correctly you will see a note there about allowing the app to install. Good luck.

V

You guys would have me believe I’m the only one able to get information out of a search engine.

Personally I run into problems I lack information for every few minutes, this is just one such problem. If I can google, so can you. You get an immediate answer, don’t have to write a question, and nobody needs to write a response because that already exists.

Some problems are more difficult than this, it might not be describable with a search query, might not be public, might not be obvious how to approach.
But this? Others have been here before.

That really wasn’t the point but since you are getting it there isn’t any reason to explain it.

Have a nice night!