Getting started with cmd prompt / Git terminal for SQL

I am a total newbie to the coding world so apologies for the basic queries.

Context:
I am trying to run the sqlite3.exe files from cmd/Git Bash cmd prompt. I directly open the sqlite3.exe file but am unable to access database files from sqlite3.exe?

1. Am i missing any steps?
  2. Is there another way to run sqlite from a more user friendly console similar to the ones in codeacademy exercises?

Link: https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-sql/articles/what-is-sqlite

Thanks for your help!

Hi there,

Whenever you execute an SQL statement you need to close your statement by semi-colon (;), put semi-colon on your statement and I think you would be fine.

1 Like

@kabirjain8574170360,

In addition to adding a semicolon as @betizazualemu2392118 mentioned, you also need to open or create a database file before trying out any queries. As the prompt tells you, use .open FILENAME to open a database. If the file is not located in the same folder as your sqlite3.exe, then you will need to use .open PATH/TO/YOUR/FILE/FILENAME.db or navigate to the correct folder using SQLite’s .cd command.

Another, more beginner-friendly option is to download and use DB Browser for SQLite.

1 Like

Thanks, I ensured that

1. Semicolon is put after SQL statements
  2. ‘usgs.sqlite’ file is within the same folder. Probably it requires a tables name with Select and .open command before the statement.

Have switched to DB browser. It is quite user-friendly and has made the experience very smooth.
Any thoughts on which Sql softwares / consoles are used in ecommerce / technology companies?