Getting Started Bug

I was having a problem right at the beginning of the course.

$ rails new MySite
$ bundle install
$ rails server

After you call this code you are supposed to be able to click the link provided (http://localhost:8000).
In the web browser view it only returns 'Not Found'.

Assuming there is nothing you can do here, or that it was simply supposed to say this I moved onto the next lesson. When I got to lesson 3 I was supposed to enter in the following code.

$ rails generate controller Pages

I assume this is supposed to create a file that we are able to access through app>controllers>. However there is no file by that name that is able to be accessed.

After reading through some of the other posts it looked like it was a problem on CodeCademy's end. Am I missing something in my code or follow-through on instructions or is it legitimately a problem on CodeCademy's end? If it is, any word on when this might be getting resolved? I love learning format here and would hate to find somewhere else to start, but there isn't really anything I can do if they won't fix this.

I have been getting the same error message for days now. It's making me super sad. Really wanted to get started using Codecademy... going to have to start searching for alternatives soon. :frowning:

I finally figured it out. If you go to #2 and add these into the GEMFILE (code editor)
'tzinfo'
'tzinfo-data'

then bundle install and go to #3

On #3 step 1
refresh the page,
do step 1 again and then do step 2 you can then move forward.

So this is what I need to do to fix? Please confirm.

On Exercise 1:
In 'bash' type
$ rails new MySite
$ bundle install
$ rails server

On Exercise 2:
Click 'Open File'
Locate 'Gemfile' and click
In the 'Gemfile' code editor go to the bottom lines and type
42 tzinfo
43 tzinfo-data
Then go back to 'bash' and type
bundle install

What am I doing wrong to this point cause now I am just getting error messages.

You have your 1s and 2s different than I am thinking in what I posted above.

On Exercise 1 (which is really #2 - Hello Rails II since you don't do anything on #1 Hello Rails I):
In 'bash' type
$ rails new MySite
Click 'Open File'
Locate 'Gemfile' and click
In the 'Gemfile' code editor go to the bottom lines and type
'tzinfo'
'tzinfo-data'
bundle install
$ rails server

go to next exercise
generate control page
refresh browser screen (actual browser not the little browser window within codeacademy)
generate control page again (refresh will make it seem like you didnt do it)
look in editor and your contoller page should be there.

This worked for me! :smile:

codecademy admins: Please fix the Gemfile

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.