Getting a Junior Developer job in the UK - IN A DIFFERENT CITY

Hello Everyone!

I am from the UK and I struggle to find work in my field due to some gaps in my CV and because I am looking to work remotely. Is there anybody (especially from the UK) who can please advise me on how to get a junior developer role fully remote?

Thank you very much!

Managed to find any remote jobs yet? I am in the same boat as you !

Hi there!

No, still trying, but I don’t pass the technical test at all and I am not sure what to do. Do you happen to have any advice?

Thank you!

Hi Mate,
sorry to hear that. Can I ask what sort of technical tests are you being given? Are they related to data structure and algorithms at all?

One thing I have experienced that for most software/web developer roles, companies tend to give candidates small coding challenges to complete. Below are what I have been given for some of the roles that I have applied for:
1: a simple converter web app (convert from meter to km and so on) It was partially done. I have to complete it and fix some existing errors. I also added some tests to it too. I did not pass the tests. See below the feedback from the manager:

> Positive
> Extraction of the conversion factors into constants.
> 
> The new code has some validation in it to avoid the crashes that happen with the existing features.
> 
> 
> Negative
> No use of git/structured commits.
> 
> The broken unit tests are still broken.
> 
> No refactoring/removal of duplication (other than extracting the conversion numbers).

For another role that I have applied to, I have been given the following task:

Make a simple ‘Contact Us’ form using C#/SQL, ASP.NET MVC. I did that in 2 days and submitted it. Did not get to the next stage. See the feedback from the employer below:

Unfortunately at this stage we will not be progressing your application further. It is with regret that I say this as you have been excellent throughout the process.

The only reason we have went in another direction is purely due to the calibre of candidates that have applied this year, it has been so competitive unlike anything we have seen.

And it was only due to other candidates having more experience that meant you have missed out on this occasion.

I hope you take this as a positive in some regards (although I appreciate that will be difficult) as you pushed other candidates very close even though they had more experience than yourself, your positive attitude and coding example was excellent and I do hope that our paths cross again in the future.

So what I am trying to say to you is, most challenges that the employers give the candidates are do-able and somewhat similar to what one would be doing upon getting hired. Some companies do not even bother with coding tasks (junior devs role especially), since they just ask you questions during the interviews to gauge your basic understanding.

Unless of course you are applying for a big tech firm that requires tasks related to data structure and algorithms, you should be able to do most of the coding challenges.

Hope this somewhat helps.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers

1 Like