Get your website Online

Get your website ONLINE !

How to get your website live

*Read Get your website together

*Deploy a Website course now available on Codecademy

You need: Domain, Hosting & your website files !

What is a domain ? Domain is the URL / website address something.com ( or any other extension, it doesn’t have to be .com )

What is hosting ? A web hosting service is a type of Internet hosting service that allows individuals and organizations to make their website accessible via the World Wide Web.
A web host, or web hosting service provider, is a business that provides the technologies and services needed for the website or webpage to be viewed on the Internet. Websites are hosted, or stored, on special computers called servers.

Do I need to buy hosting & domain from the same company ? Nope, You can look around find someone who is cheap and reliable.

Buying hosting

~ Look for an affordable & reputable company local in your country or international (your choice) ~ Make sure company has good support ~ Buy shared hosting for starters

Buying a domain

~ Find an affordable & reputable registrar ~ Choose a domain name (remember you cannot change it, you will have to purchase another one) ~ Enter in nameserver

What is a nameserver ?

Short simple explanation is: Nameserver directs the domain to your hosting server, gets your data so it can be displayed on the World Wide Web

You can get your nameserver from your host. Nameservers can be changed on your domain so if you decide to change host…

If you are buying hosting and domain from the same company then they will most likely set this up for you.

Once I have bought hosting & domain how do I set it up ?

Your host is most likely to provide you with a cPanel or any other control panel.

If you have given your host your domain name when purchasing domain then they will have it setup on your control panel and all you need to do is upload the files.

File manager - click on your website address - upload your website files

Remember index.html / index.php will be displayed as your landing page
Don’t forget to link up all your files & media

When buying hosting & domains the company will most likely try to sell you tons of add-on’s be careful it just makes your bill bigger and most likely not necessary.

[details=Read more]

Domain Name Server (DNS)

Each computer on the Internet is assigned a unique address, called an IP address. A typical IP address looks like this: 199.123.456.7

It is very difficult to keep in mind the IP addresses of all the websites we visit daily. Words are easier to remember than strings of numbers. This is where domain names come into the picture. When you visit a website, all you need to know is its URL. Computers remember numbers, and DNS helps us convert the URL into an IP address that the computer can understand.

When you type in domain.com into your browser, the browser first needs to get the IP address of www.domain.com. The browser contacts a DNS server to query the location of the server where the webpages are stored. Think of it as a directory service of IP address.

The classic phonebook directory analogy, you need to find the company “Joe’s Bookstore”, you look in the directory and see that it is located on 123 Main Street. Then you go to the address to visit the store.
-website.com

Types of Web Hosting Services

There are various types of web hosting services available to host your website. Before signing up for web hosting services, it is important to understand what kind of service your website needs, the kind of server you or your business needs, your budget, and what type of services the web host offers.

Hosting options available are:

• Free Hosting
  • Shared Hosting
  • Dedicated Hosting
  • Collocated Hosting

Free Hosting
Free web hosting can be a good choice when you just want to build a non-critical website for fun. Very often in a free hosting environment, connection speed is slow, website can be down frequently, and advertising banners are automatically added to your website. Some companies require you to purchase your domain name to receive free hosting services from them, while others offer you a free subdomain under them, such as [yourname.webhost.com]. Be careful as you will not be able to transfer these free subdomains.

Shared Hosting
In a shared hosting environment, your and other website owners shared one server. This includes sharing the physical server and the software applications within the server. Shared hosting services are affordable because the cost to operate the server is shared between you and these other owners. There are, however, a number of down sides, such as being slower.

Dedicated Hosting
In a dedicated hosting environment, you have the entire web server to yourself. This allows for faster performance, as you have all the server’s resources entirely, without sharing with other website owners. However, this also means that you will be responsible for the cost of server operation entirely. This is a good choice for websites that require a lot of system resources, or need a higher level of security.

Collocated Hosting
In this type of hosting, you will purchase your own server and have it housed at a web host’s facilities. You will be responsible for the server itself. An advantage of this type of hosting service is you have full control of the web server. You can install any scripts or applications you need. [/details]

A good read for more info: Host my site | Blog
cPanel Video Tutorials
cPanel Guide

3 Likes

Do you suggest any hosts? I want one with an HTML editor.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi Sonu,

I don’t know of any hosts that supply editors, what they might give is CMS plugins.

You need to download any editor (have a look at this post) create your files and upload them onto your hosting server :slight_smile:

1 Like

Interesting. I’ll try.

1 Like

I use w3spaces, a free host

Hi,

I have a test website that I use to practice html.
I have a test website up and running (very basic, still very new to html)
and then started getting a "Forbidden / You don’t have permission to access this resource / Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request " error.

I have tried a number of things suggested I found via google (reset permissions ect) but still getting the error

One person suggested This is present when there is no website content uploaded to the directory but there is content in the public_html folder

Can anyone help?

Currently my web hosting is not working well. Which web hosting services you people will recommend for my JustFlyCheap