General for loop question

Hi there.
I feel that I understand the basics of for loops, but there is something I'm not grasping. In the following code to compute 2 to the 10th power...

var result = 1;
for (var counter = 0; counter < 10; counter = counter + 1);
result = result * 2;
console.log(result);

the result is 1024

What I don't understand is how the "result" variable is being plugged into the loop?? There are lots of instructions for the "counter" variable, but "result" seems to be pulled out of nowhere....

Hi :slightly_smiling:

So, I'll break it fown for you. First, you declare your variable:

var result = 1; /* This sets result equal to 1 */

Second, you build your for loop:

for (thisVariable = thisNumber; run loop while this condition is true; every time you run through this loop, add this much to thisVariable) {
/* run this code */
}

Now, inside your loop, you have:

result = result * 2; /* this takes the var result and redefines it to equal itself times two */

Now that our variable has been redefined, your next line logs it:

console.log(result);

So, basically, your code takes your var result and multiples it by 2 for as long as counter < 10. Does this make sense or help in any way?

As @quobogeba says, so long as counter is less than ten, it multiplies result by 2, stores it back in result, then adds 1 to counter.

var result = 1; /*So right here result is 1*/
for (var counter = 0; counter < 10; counter++) { /*++ is short for += 1, which is short for = counter + 1*/
    result = result * 2; //each time that counter is less than 10, it does this, increments counter by one, and checks again
}
console.log(result)

All that makes sense to me.
Let me ask this, in the example I've included, would this be the same code?

var result = 1;
for (var counter = 0; counter < 10; counter = counter + 1) {
result = result * 2;
}
console.log(result);

Did the example I'm working from simply omit the curly brackets by choice? Or are they not used in this instance? I feel like that may be where I'm being thrown off...

Yes, simply a choice, but a bad one in my opinion, as it's harder to read that way.

Ahhh, Ok. Without the braces, it seemed like the "result" variable was OUTSIDE the loop, which is why I couldn't see how it was getting included. Thank you so much for the help.

No problem, that's what we're here for