Gemdas

Hey guys just curious if anyone knows what gemdas is?
I came across the term while taking the first intro to java quiz but I cannot seem to find a the meaning that everyone agrees on anywhere.
example: The variable gemdas will store what value?
int gemdas = (10 / 5) * 3;

The answer was 6 which is exactly how it reads if you’re following order of operations, but I am still curious as to what the meaning actually is and when it’s appropriate to use it.

gemdas is an acronym:

It is in a Acronym of GEMDAS or PEMDAS which means Grouping/Parenthesis, Exponent, Multiply & Divide and Add & Subtract.

a simple google search was all it took

I did google it but I obviously missed where someone actually broke down the acronym. Some people were saying it was a form of pemdas others were saying it was a sub language. I wasn’t sure what to trust. Thank you so much!

entering the right search query in google is a skill, not the most difficult skill to master, but as you can see, it certainly matters

Well it’s definitely something I’m going to have to do. Thank you so much again for your help I really appreciate it!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.