Functions, return and if/else

Hello everyone!

i am stuck on what i am actually meant to do at this stage...

here is the instructions on what I am meant to do:
1) Define a function called quarter which has a parameter called number.
2) This function returns a value equal to one quarter of the parameter. (i.e. number / 4;)
3)Call the function inside the if statement's condition (and put in a parameter value!) such that "The statement is true" is printed to the console.

This is the default code given:

// Define quarter here.

if (quarter() % 3 === 0 ) {
console.log("The statement is true");
} else {
console.log("The statement is false");
}

This is what I have done so far and i think i am going the wrong direction but can't get my head around it:
var quarter = function (number)

if (quarter() number / 4 ) {
} else {
}

Help explaining what i am meant to do step by step would be great!
Many Thanks

Hi,

1) Define a function called quarter which has a parameter called number.

def quarter = function(number){

}

2) This function returns a value equal to one quarter of the parameter. (i.e. number / 4;)

def quarter = function(number){
    return number / 4;
}

3)Call the function inside the if statement's condition (and put in a parameter value!) such that "The statement is true" is printed to the console.

if ( quarter("here type a number") % 3 === 0) {
    console.log( "The statement is true")
}
else {
   console.log(" The statement is false")
}

Inside quarter() you should put a number that the remain of the division by 3 is equale to 0 like that

12 % 3 === 0

@theocanes
Hi,
First of all you must create a function called quarter that will return the quarter of the parameter. Remember a function syntax looks like this:

var functionName = function(optional parameter) {
   //the codes runs inside of here
};

Then like the instruction says, you will use the return function to return the value of a quarter of the parameter. I guess you have a hint right here:

So next finally you have the if-else statement which you need to print the statement is true by using the quarter function. Remember, you can call a function like this:

functionName(optional parameters to input);

Codeacademy has already put the code to call the function, you just need to define the** parameter** inside of the pair of the pair of parentheses next to your quarter function. Make sure your if statement should return the statement is true. Your code should look like this:

if (quarter(/* Here, you put the number you want */) % 3 === 0) {
} else {
}

Hope this helped you.

Hello, thanks for the reply, on the line of the if statement is the "here put the number you want" a string or a number?
Thanks

This is my code so far:
var quarter = function (number)
{
return number / 4;
}

if (quarter(16) % 3 === 0 ) {
} else {
}

And the error says:
Did you remember to call quarter() inside the if statement with a value that would cause it to print 'The statement is true'?
The console also outputs to "the statement is false"

@theocanes
When I say a number, you should refer it as an integer or float value, not strings (in which I would have precised anyway).

Look here

In the if statement, it will first find the quarter of 16 (which is four) and test whether quarter of 16 % 3 === 0. $ isn't evenly divisible by 3 (16 % 3 === 1) so that's why it prints false. You must find a number (you know what I'm talking about) which quarter is evenly divisible by 3. Understood?

finally got it done!
thank you so much for the help