Function Recap

The following code keeps on returning "ReferenceError: 'john' is undefined"

var nameString = function(name) { return console.log("Hi, I am" + " " + name); };

nameString(john); // I call the funtion here.

Instruction:
01. Write a function called nameString()
02. It should take name as a parameter.
03. The function returns a string equal to "Hi, I am" + " " + name.
04. Call nameString() by passing it your name, and use console.log to print the output.

Could somebody help please?

nameString(john); // I call the funtion here.

here john is the name is a variable name that is not defined yet. Probably you meant a string "john", did you?

True you have called the function correctly but there are two things here,

1. first the argument John you passed is not a string which mean it is a variable but you have not defined it yet so you must create something like

var john = "Your Nmae";
  1. Since you are returning the final result just calling the method like this

nameString(john);

works but you cannot see the result so you must pass it as argument to console.log() to see it

console.log(nameString(john));

Here, "john" is an input. Can one defines input/s? My understanding was that input varies, hence, it can't be defined. No?

Inputs or by the correct name arguments are values so they cannot be defined, the problem is that you didn't used a value here but a variable name. Now using a variable is ok because it could be the alias for a value as @rydan explained but your variable is new (never used before) so it has no value and that is why the interpreter complains about it. Ok?

haxor789 and rydan, thank you for your help! essentially one must define variable before using it, but string can be passed as is.

This is what I have, but the interpreter still has difficulty understanding it.

Error message:

"Oops, try again. Hmm, it looks like your nameString() function doesn't return 'Hi, I am Susie' for the name Susie."

Code:

var nameString = function(name) { return console.log("Hi, I am" + " " + name ); };

nameString("john")

So, when I call the function here, every word "name" in the first line are replaced by john?
The value of "nameString" = john? Also, the other "name" inside the curly bracket will be replaced with john?

I am kind of new at this.

Thanks,
net

hi netwhiz47418! I had the same error message about Susie and finaly fixed it like this:
var nameString = function (name) {
var Lily = "my Name";
return ("Hi, I am" + " " + name);
}
console.log(nameString("Lily"))

P.S. My mistake was placing console.log in return section. After deleing it everything worked.

By using function(name) and calling nameString("john") you declare a variable name inside the function your function that has a value of "john". Just like you'd do with var name = "john". The only special thing is that if you call nameString("xyz") it would be var name = "xyz" so it's quite interesting as you can run the same function but feeding it with different values produces different results. As far as I can see this part is ok in your function so don't bother about it that much just play around a bit and get used to how it is done.

The problem in your code is that you return console.log. Better just return the value "Hi, I am" + " " + name and then console.log it:

console.log(nameString("john");

haxor789, thanks for coming back again to help; I think your explanations are beginning to make sense, will keep on practicing. Thanks again. You are doing a great service.

tmcc thanks to you too. The code works now.

-net

I can also be coded like this....

var nameString = function (name) {
return "Hi, I am " + name

};
var newName = nameString("Mike")
console.log(newName);