Full-Stack Engineer Path

Hi! Thanks for flagging. There seems to be a larger issue around progress and Customer Support and one of our product teams is looking into. My understanding is that the CS team can still see your progress and grant certificates if necessary. Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Someone from the team has resolved the issue. Thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s disappointing to see so many Codecademy staff saying they will take onboard feedback, but clearly this feedback has been ignored.

I just started on the “Full Stack Engineer” career path and have noticed:

1. It still begins with links to articles which are far more advanced than is needed to start logging to the console.
  2. I am still getting confusing requests to “Read Chapter X” of some book I never knew I had to get and still don’t know if I have to get and was never told I might have to get before I paid for Codecademy.

These issues have been made clear above several months ago and remain unresolved. I can understand the desire for Codecademy to want paid product placement, but it shouldn’t come at the cost of providing a clear and easy to understand course.

2 Likes

Hi Tomi,
I had the EXACT experience with this course (same as you). It resulted in me stopping my progression after the introduction to JS. It’s confusing that the supporting literature is so advanced - like diving into a whole new course with each link I access (which is actually the case with the Mozilla material, additionally free of charge). It’s overwhelming and distracting. And passed the introduction to JS, one plunges into NODE.js which is presented already with the advanced functions of JS. I’m truly stuck in this course, because taking the course one step at a time seems the logical way to pursue, but if I’m lost after the intro, I imagine the course material getting even more complicated further on.
With this said, I’m glad to find your question and see that I’m not alone with this difficulty, but disappointed to see that no help is actually proposed from Codecademy staff, other than “ignore it and go on”.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Good day!

Just sharing my two cents on this issue as I’m currently 39% to the Full-Stack Developer Course.

1. What Articles are you referring to exactly?

The first couple of articles take you through how to use some of the most common, entry level tools when coding in general. Topics such as setting up an IDE such as VisualStudio Code (Important for when you’d like to practice, or work on personal projects without internet access, or just develop locally)

Navigating a computers file structure using the command-line. When working on some systems, or in the cloud, you aren’t always going to have a GUI to interact with. Again, this is preparing you right from the start so that you may get use to using it .

1. The books are additional resources, that is all. I’ve got copies of both books, and I’ve hardly referenced them due to the simple fact that they are not required. It is simple additional reading which is optional and not actually required to do the course. If you are stuck on a topic or want to dive into a specific topic a lot deeper, the internet is more than suitable. Just google the topic (again, just additional reading), which in itself develops your research and problem skills when you get stuck.

The Mozilla Documentation is more than adequate, or any other resource online (all of which would be free)

Again, just my two cents.

1 Like

Hey, I have some related feedback. I just started the Full-Stack Engineer Path after completing the HTML course and 80+ percent of the Python course. On the second unit they are already having us read an article about some of the advanced features of JavaScript, despite the fact that we have not covered this yet:

Visual Studio Code and JavaScript: Learn about some advanced JavaScript features in Visual Studio Code

The previous article was about installing Prittier, ESLint and npm. Besides npm, I am not even sure why I need the others at this point (since I don’t even know how to write any JavaScript. I realize that the purpose of this article may have just been to get used to installing extensions, but I think that introducing some concepts to early, before we have the mental framework to understand where they fit into things, is just confusing. Perhaps the article here could suggest some themes to install, and then a later article could suggest installing Prittier, ESLint and npm, when we get to a point where we would use these extensions.

Customize Visual Studio Code with Extension Marketplace

This these articles are at the beginning of the course before we even learn any coding besides a 10 minute video about how to create a boilerplate HTML page with Visual Studio Code.

If there are prerequisites to the career path courses, then it should be clearly stated. I realize that perhaps some people might try this after having already done the JavaScript course (which would probably make things easier), but that is not the case for all of us.

2 Likes

I know this is an old post, but someone in my cohort pointed to this site, which has a free JavaScript book that can be read online or downloaded as an epub. I’m not far into it, but it looks decent and might be a decent alternative to the paid book.

https://eloquentjavascript.net/

3 Likes

Thanks for that.

Here is another site for some good resources:

3 Likes

Just wanted to chime is with my ditto on this.

The Full Stack course is my first rodeo with any kind of development.
I’m a total beginner, and so far everything has been presented very clearly; until reaching the Visual Studio Code and JavaScript section.
The article is about 200 words of JavaScript jargon that hasn’t been introduced yet. It is moon runes to me as a newbie, and it feels like I’m missing out on important information when I have to just guess on the quiz.

So far I’ve been really enjoying this course, but hitting a roadblock like this makes me question whether I want to continue with a subscription…

1 Like

Hi - changes were just made on Friday. Check out the web development domain change log for more information on other fixes in the path.

2 Likes

Hi all, writing to let everyone know that based on your feedback we’ve updated the Full-Stack Engineer Career Path. You can see the updates in this change log, they went live last Friday. I appreciate that everyone has shared their experiences on this post. Apologies that it’s taken us some time - making changes to a product is a delicate matter and we balance improvements with new production. We’ll continue to listen to feedback and update the Career Paths, including starting to do annual audits and dedicated improvements each summer.

5 Likes

Hey Zoe,

Took me a while to find this thread for whatever reason, so just wanted to reiterate experiencing the aforementioned frustrations throughout this development path, and add some comments myself.

While adding in external resources is great (something I had been doing anyway to supplement the course) it makes it more difficult to provide a consistent and homogenous learning experience (as I’m sure you’re aware) – sometimes the difficulty level jumps, other times the scope can be redundant or seemingly out-of-order. There are some times where after reading the external resource, the subsequent lesson then seems redundant due to some content overlap. While some resources do mix cohesively, in my humble opinion, more scrutiny may be needed here. Perhaps you can designate some of these external resources as a ‘further reading’ option rather than directly depend on them in the pedagogy?

I’ve noticed this issue also likely occurs due to the reuse of lessons within smaller courses that are placed throughout a broader development path’s curriculum. This compartmentalization certainly has benefits (ie seeing some % completion in smaller, related courses and eliminating redundancy), however it’s worth noting that the lesson flow is far from seamless at times. I do try to submit bug-fixes when i see them, but unfortunately, I don’t have exact lessons to direct you to.

I was glad to see you added in more content on redux (and react, to a degree), as I felt very ill-prepared after completing the redux material. I also noticed a lack of material explaining using handlebars during one of the projects dealing with node/express.

Also worth noting is that, frankly, its very frustrating when trying to complete the course, or rather estimate my time to completion, only to see my completion % decrease after seemingly man revisions/additions – a not-insignificant amount of which are now moot points for me to revisit. Perhaps making new content optional (yet strongly suggested) for the user to complete if the path has already been started?

The inconsistency in completed cheatsheets is also disappointing, but even more so is the alternative of ciphering through lessons in lieu of the long reload times when reverting back to the course syllabus, and lack of retention of my page-viewing location on the syllabus when viewing a lesson and then hitting the browser’s back button, for example.

Sorry for lacking detail in some of these observations, and overall I truly appreciate what codecademy has taught me thus far despite some frustration. I hope I provided some practical feedback to help you improve upon the learning experience. Thanks!

3 Likes

I’ve been reading through articles literally for days, reading several hours each day, and haven’t moved 1% on my course completion! Super frustrating. how is the completion % calculated?

It also feels like a lot of fluff and redundancy is being added with all the “3rd party” articles, which could be much more streamlined with original content… Linking out to other “free coding platforms” seems like a lazy and ineffective way to teach something and diminishes the value codecademy provides.

Also, the changelog linked above brings me what looks like the web-development path, is this correct?

I’m not sure why you’re not seeing your completion change - I’ll reach out to our product team to see why that may be the case. Completion is calculated differently depending on the content item - for external content, it’s considered complete when you click the ‘Next’ button to move on to the next content item. It may be that given the large amount of content in the path, it requires completing more external items to see a progress change that it would for completing a lesson (where each exercise counts towards progress).

Agree that original content would be better! We’re currently are working on replacing the sections of external content with original content (like we did recently with Redux). The reason for including external content is that content production takes several months to complete and we wanted to make sure we were teaching the most important skills now, not in a year. Our old web dev path taught the technologies and subjects we had existing content in, which were not the best things for individuals to learn. The aim is to have content production complete by the end of August, when we’ll be announcing major updates to the path. However, you will see smaller updates between now and then.

The changelog is a changelog for all content in the web development domain, which includes the full-stack engineer, front-end engineer, and back-end engineer paths in addition to courses like Learn HTML, Learn CSS, and skill paths like Create a Front-End Web App with React. You can see all the domain content in the catalog on this hub page.

Hope those answers clarify things! LMK if you have other questions.

Hi, is there anyone from codecademy who can tell me how to get past the Javascript section of the Full Stack Engineer Path? I’ve just completed Learn Javascript but find it repetitive to have to go through it again in this path. How do I get past sections previously completed?

I’m not a Codecademy employee, but you can simply head to the link below and select the desired module you want to work on.

https://www.codecademy.com/learn/paths/full-stack-engineer-career-path

Thank you for the reply, Victoria. I’m still new to Codecademy.

1 Like