[free] ruby course time

On the [non-pro] ruby course it says the course should take 10 hours to complete.

When I’ve asked others on other platforms I get told “don’t compare yourself to others”, but I’m still trying to find out that coding is for me. I am enjoying it, but if I’m not able to make a career out of it then it’s not going to pay the bills.

Is the course time very optimistic? Have you taken the course and if so, how long did it take you?

Thanks for any and answers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @bit6397009343 - welcome to the forum!

I’ve done several of the courses here on CC, but not actually the Ruby one. That being said, I haven’t “timed” myself for how long it took me to complete any of the courses which I have done.

The course times are guidelines only, really - I wouldn’t pay too much attention to them. Whether you get through the Ruby material more quickly or more slowly than the estimate doesn’t really matter.

What is important is whether you have understood the material, whether you can remember what you’ve learned, and whether you can apply it to problems or projects beyond the material set here.

In short, what I’m saying is that if you want to take the Ruby course you should take the Ruby course. Don’t worry yourself about how long it’s taking you - if you’re enjoying the material, and you’re comprehending the lessons, I’d say you’re winning. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks, nice to be here.

I still think there can be some value as a barometer of how fast I am picking up a language though, so would be interested to know how long it has taken other people.

I’m not saying it will even stop me, but it’ll let me know how wired my brain is vs other people’s experience when it comes to coding.

@bit6397009343 I have taken a few courses, and, although I haven’t timed myself, I would say the estimates are slightly optimistic, however, I found that they did provide a useful guide. I am doing the Ruby course now, and I would say, based off the time I have spent (roughly) and my progress that the estimate is slightly optimistic, but definitely a good guide. I hope this helps!
Happy coding!

Whatever the case may be, be warned… Do not judge your aptitude or readiness from this Ruby course. One should not jump headlong into Ruby as a beginner unless you are seriously committed to the long haul. It is not a language for the faint of heart.

However, Python and JavaScript give a gentler learning environment where vital concepts can be learned and applied to learning Ruby.

If Ruby is proving a difficult language, then set it to the side, immerse one’s self in the other languages and come back at a later date if you want to really learn it.

1 Like

I think you’ve just made me want to learn Ruby… :stuck_out_tongue:

I can see your point, and if being able to see that you’re progressing through the material at a similar or greater rate than others is helpful or motivating to you then great.

What I was trying to put across, though, was that you shouldn’t necessarily look negatively at yourself or your ability if you should find yourself in the position of progressing through the material more slowly than others. For all anyone knows, the course might be taking you longer because you’re whizzing off platform to go read documentation rather than blitzing through the lessons in a mad dash to the finish.

Does that make sense? :slight_smile:

1 Like

The time to begin learning Ruby is when you are school-aged, and have a good teacher. The more solid one’s foundation is, the easier it is to explore the more abstract aspects of the language. It is not a language that someone like me can do more than tinker with.

As script languages go, it is very robust and powerful. There is good reason for Ruby on Rails to be so popular among avid supporters. Personally, I love the language but have spread myself too thin to be able to take it on in earnest. Same reason I shied away from C++, C# and Java. Without a true commitment and bonafide career goal, one can spin their wheels a lot and get nowhere. If I was half my age, it would be a different matter.