Formatting code

https://discuss.codecademy.com/t/how-do-i-format-code-in-my-posts

I’d urge people to format their code and read the post from the following link. I’ve been overlooking a lot of code to help people lately because it’s not all formatted.

1 Like

It’s not a bad idea to copy their code and format it in your own post, so you can see it and understand it. You can remove it before you post though.

2 Likes

That wouldn’t work for HTML and some other languages

I have no trouble doing it with any language, including HTML.

Didn’t think of that, but then again, it isn’t too much to c&p again, just an extra step, but then when you get a thread with 100+ replies and 95 of them aren’t formatted, that’s asking a lot.

After doing it so much you get used to it.

I usually don’t have the time during the day to do it, but it is what it is. If I have the time, I will do it. :slight_smile:

Just hop on and try to help people when you can.

It’s a matter of sharing something that is different from what is asked about.

Additionally:
If I’m having trouble opening a jar, I would bring the jar to the person helping me. I wouldn’t ask them to also fetch the jar for me, that would be rather rude. (And greatly affects the response)

Exactly. If I have some spare time to help people open some jars, I’m more likely to stand here and help those that bring the jars to me.

I can open water bottles, but I’m not sure about jars, am I still cool?

1 Like

Water bottles are cool. Do you want to go hunt for them or would you rather we bring them to you?

Depends. I will open them for free if you bring them, but If I’m walking you’re buying me a burger or something.

I think it has bugs.

2 Likes

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

I’ll start giving away jars, then when demand is higher than supply, I’ll get more people to help produce more jars so that supply is about even with demand, but I will need a few people that will want to go in on giving away jars. So if you don’t have a lot of work, you don’t work, or are retired, then giving away jars is probably a good career move for you!

Hi @825orion ,

Indentation is essential for defining the structure of Python programs. If a user posts Python code without formatting it, we cannot always be sure of the details of their indentation. Sometimes, we can figure it out, if the user reports a specific error message or a specific problematical function return value or output. However, since erroneous results that users report in the Python forums commonly result from mistakes in indentation, it really helps other users to assist them, if they could learn to format their own code when they are seeking help.

3 Likes

Understood. As a Python user myself I understand what you mean.

1 Like