form_for(:session, url: login_path) do |f|

Can somebody please explain more what this means? I know CC explained it, but found the explanation to be very brief. Hopefully a more elaborate explanation would help.

Hi Jay,

<%= form_for(:session, url: login_path) do |f| %>

says to the computer “Create me a form for the sessions controller, and submit it to the URL login_path which was defined in config/routes.rb

Also, a quick search brought up several documentation pages which looked helpful.

Thanks Zeke, I'm assuming create a form using the create method within the sessions controller? Still trying to grasp the login_path. Is the login path for this located in the views/sessions/new.html.erb file?

@jaydacoder

I'm assuming create a form using the create method within the sessions controller?

Correct.

Is the login path for this located in the views/sessions/new.html.erb file?

No:

login_path which was defined in config/routes.rb

It's the thing that says as: :login_path (or something similar) in the routes.rb file.

Nothing in my routes file says as: :login_path , below is how my routes file shows...

Rails.application.routes.draw do
  root 'albums#index'
  get 'albums' => 'albums#index'
  get 'albums/new' => 'albums#new'
  get 'albums/:id' => 'albums#show', as: :album
  post 'albums' => 'albums#create'

get 'signup'  => 'users#new' 
  resources :users

get '/login' => 'sessions#new'
  post '/login' => 'sessions#create'

@jaydacoder In that case, something weird is going on, or it's been a little too long since I went through this course :sweat:

It seems to be an automatically created URL helper by Rails; I'm not sure where you would look to see the code for it.

@jaydacoder login_path refer to Post ‘/login’ in your routes
whenever you use a form_for helper in Rails, it will automatically use the POST variant of your routes
for more info https://stackoverflow.com/questions/24375454/whats-the-meaning-of-url-path-in-form-for