For Loops, Backwards

Hello,

Can someone please tell what is wrong to my code, I mean it’s printing the way it should be but the system cannot accept my code.

let vacationSpots = ['boracay','cebu','palawan'];

for( let vacationSpotIndex = vacationSpots.length; vacationSpotIndex >= 0; vacationSpotIndex --    ){
        console.log('I would love to visit' + ' ' +  vacationSpots[vacationSpotIndex]);
};

Please post a link to the exercise, as well as any error messages. Thanks.

Here is the link
https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-javascript-loops/lessons/loops/exercises/for-loop-ii?action=lesson_resume&course_redirect=introduction-to-javascript

The error says “Did you log the vacation spot to the console?”

Is there any error in console window?

I’m guessing you might be getting an index out of range error? There is no element,

vacationSpots[vacationSpots.length]

I tried it too but it does not work either. I have been stucked from here since yesterday and cant figure out what could be the problem.

One way to deal with this…

const arr = [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9]

for (let i = arr.length; i > 0; i--) {
    console.log(arr[i - 1]);
}

Note the conditional. > 0. We do not want it to equal zero since we are subtracting in the subscript. When i is 1, the index we access will be [0].

Thank you for the help! let me try that one out…

Work out the mechanics, then substitute in the expected variable names.

I like this example much better than the example that the “for Loops Backwards” lesson suggests (Lesson page 4/8). Is there any way you could change the example ? This is much easier to read and understand.

In some world that I don’t completely understand, long, verbose variable names are supposed to be self-documenting the code. Maybe that is true, though like yourself, I prefer to think through the code and gain my own understanding of it. We can still self-document (with appropriate naming) without exaggerating the obvious, in my view.

Hi!
Do you actually have a space between your index variable and the unary --? Or is that just the formatting being goofy? If there is a space, try taking it out. Unaries don’t take space on each side, unlike the other operators.

“… vacationSpotIndex – )”

Hope it works out!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.