For Loops and Indexes

I’ve gone back in my notes trying to find where indexes and start conditions where introduced and explaining how they are written out. In exercise 3/8 learning For Loops, in the example given it looks like:

let animals = [“Grizzly Bear”, “Sloth”, “Sea Lion”];

for (let animalIndex = 0; animalIndex < animals.length; animalIndex++) {
console.log(animals[animalIndex]);

When I was working on my own For Loop as prompted, I was writing out my start condition exactly as the variable used in my array. The variable for the array is “vacationSpots”, and I was writing my start condition out as “vacationSpotsIndex”, but it was wrong until I dropped the “s”. Why is the “s” dropped?

No real reason other than to make it singular, the same as the earlier example…

animals        =>  animalIndex

vacationSpots  =>  vacationSpotIndex

So it’s not actually required to be singular for it to work? If I wrote it out the way I did in my own code in the future, it would still work?

Never mind. I understand what it means now. It’s not the same thing as the variable used for the array. Thank you.

Yes, it will. Variable names are meant for readers, not the computer so they are arbitrarily chosen by the author. The best variable names are the ones that a reader will understand immediately once viewed in context.

In loops it is common to see an object with a pluralized name, and the iterator in a loop will be the singular.

for (animal of animals) {}

In the above, animals will be the array, animal will the individual value retrieved from the array during iteration.

Okay, I don’t recall it explaining that in the exercise, but now I understand. Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.