For lists in list

n = [[1, 2, 3], [4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9]]

def flatten(lists):
    for lst in lists:
        for item in lst:
            print item

print flatten(n)

Returns correct output but codeacademy throws following error:
Oops, try again. flatten([[1, 2], [3, 4]]) returned None, did you remember to return the result?
Many thanks in advance for your help.

i would append the items to a new list, given you have to return the result (returning means you have to use the return keyword. And a function ends the moment a return keyword is reached, so create an empty list, append the items, then in the end return the list

Before

you should create an empty list here that hold your results. Say

results = []

Then, after

you will want to append item to result, say

results.append(item)

Also, you will want to return results of the first for loop. Watch your indentation.

I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Many thanks to both of you. This is my amended code. Gets perfect output but the codecademy is throwing the following error: Oops, try again. flatten([[1, 2], [3, 4]]) returned [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 1, 2, 3, 4] instead of [1, 2, 3, 4]

n = [[1, 2, 3], [4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9]]

results=[]
def flatten(lists):
    for lst in lists:
        for item in lst:
            results.append(item)
    return results

print flatten(n)

it seem the checking script only calls the function, place results = [] inside the function. If you don't, the checking script calls the function multiply times, and the list doesn't get cleared each time

Many thanks for your help. I think it is best to draw a box and arrow diagram when dealing with multiple loops. Just we get lazy.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.