Fizz Buzz Exercise

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-java/projects/java-fizzbuzz

-the above link is the link to the project I am currently having trouble with. I have managed to make it up to part 6, where you are asked to replace each multiple of 3, 5, or 3 and 5 with fizz, buzz, and fizzbuzz respectively. I’ve managed to utilize the modulo method in order to find each element of the list that are multiples of 3 5 or both, but I am confused as to how I can actually REPLACE the number with the word (i.e, replace the number 3 with fizz).

Here is my code so far:

public class FizzBuzz {

public static void main (Stringargs) {

int i;

for (i = 1; i <= 100; i++) {

System.out.println(i);

if (i % 3 == 0) {

System.out.println("Fizz");

}

else if (i % 5 == 0) {

System.out.println("Buzz");

}

else if (i % 3 == 0 && i % 5 == 0){

System.out.println("FizzBuzz");

}

}

}

}

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Welcome to the forums! :slightly_smiling_face:

The way your code is right now, first you’re printing the number no matter what it is. Then, additionally, if the number is a multiple of 3, 5 or both, it prints the words.

I would wrap this line of code:

System.out.println(i)

inside an else block after all your other conditions. That way, if the number is a multiple of 3, 5 or 3 and 5 it will only print the text. And of the number doesn’t meet any of those conditions, well, it simply prints the number.

Hope this helped!

Thank you for your timely response, but I don’t think I implemented the System.out.println(i) properly the way you have advised me to. This is what I put, and it still doesn’t work.
public class FizzBuzz {

public static void main (Stringargs) {

int i;

for (i = 1; i <= 100; i++) {

System.out.println(i);

if (i % 3 == 0) {

System.out.println("Fizz");

}

else if (i % 5 == 0) {

System.out.println("Buzz");

}

else if (i % 3 == 0 && i % 5 == 0){

System.out.println("FizzBuzz");

}

else 

System.out.println(i);

}

}

}

I’m pretty sure the way I’m wrapping the code in an else block after my conditions is incorrect, please advise if you can, much appreciated!

Hmm…well, first of all you should only have it inside the else block. No need to have it at the top too.

Also, the reason why it’s not working miiiight be because you forgot the {} :upside_down_face:

It should be something like this:

else{
   System.out.println(i)
}

I just fixed my code using your suggestions and it worked! Thank you so much, I’ll make sure to study this over so I don’t make the same mistakes.

1 Like

Glad I could help :relaxed:

Are you sure it’s working? What happens when i gets to 15? Looks to me like it would print “Fizz” only instead of “FizzBuzz”.