[fixed #66, #140] Lesson 5 - Bugs Galore

I'm not sure if anyone else is having this issue.

When I start Lesson 5, it asks to edit the routes.rb file to create a new route. OK, I can do that just fine.

Then the second step asks to edit the messages_controller file to include a new method/action "new". When I try to edit the file, it will not let me. Anything I input is automatically erased. If I go back to the files and re-open messages_controller, it will let me edit to complete the second step. However, I get tons of errors because now my routes.rb has self-edited itself to match the text/code of messages_controller file.

Eventually I can hit "Get Code" but then it completes the rest of the lesson for me, which isn't helpful (not that Ruby on Rails lessons actually explain what you're doing or why as you're doing it), but it won't let me go on to Lesson 6 even though everything is checked as "complete."

Really frustrating.

I'm not a fan of the Codecademy Rails course either.
I would suggest that you do as I did, use RailsForZombies.org it thoroughly explains things like databases and routing. :slightly_smiling:

I had exactly the same issues. I logged this through the 'Report a Bug' section but so far have not had any response. I'm still stuck. :frowning:

Hi All,

We've got a bug report filed for this already, but this should have been fixed several days ago.
I'll go update it, though :slightly_smiling:

Could you please tell me:

• The browser you're using
  • Your operating system
  • Whether you are behind a firewall
  • Whether you're on a school/company network

Thanks!

Tried on both work and home computer yesterday:

-Chrome/Chrome
-Windows 7/Windows 8
-Yes/Yes
-Company/Home

Same issue here. nothing is working. by far the worst course i have ever experienced here

-Chrome 48.0.2564.116 m
-Windows 7
-Yes
-company

This should be fixed now, please let me know if it isn't :slight_smile:

A post was split to a new topic: Is the Rails Interactive Window Necessary?

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.