First Real World Project Python/Numpy Help

I’m trying to work with a very large csv file (15,500) that contains a Date, Time (HH:MM), Name, High, Low as the fields. Ideally this project will give me time bins for the data to show me what time the highest and lowest priced item tends to sell. The first step I’ve tried is to simply get the data into python and I’m encountering issues already. Before I can even begin to think about how to accomplish the end goal I’m stuck.

This is the code I currently have…

import numpy as np

my_data = np.genfromtxt('http://localhost:8888/edit/Downloads/sales.csv, delimiter= " , ", invalid_raise = False)

print (my_data)

This is the output

[nan nan nan nan nan nan nan nan nan nan nan nan nan nan nan nan nan nan
nan nan nan nan nan nan nan nan nan nan nan nan nan nan nan nan nan nan
nan nan nan nan nan nan nan nan nan]

But why am I experiencing the NaN outputs?

Hello @rkingery,

I would recommend using Pandas Dataframe in order to load data from csv and perform data analysis with it instead of Numpy library.

As stated by the official author at some StackOverflow Question:

NumPy by itself is a fairly low-level tool, and will be very much similar to using MATLAB. pandas on the other hand provides rich time series functionality, data alignment, NA-friendly statistics, groupby, merge and join methods, and lots of other conveniences. It has become very popular in recent years in financial applications.

Cheers!

2 Likes