Finding it extremely challenging to Part 6 in Analyze Real Data (Part 4 was easy)

Good morning,

I’m reaching out for some advice on this course - Analyze Real Data.

I’ve got stuck at points for a while, usually typos or simply wrong, but not far off, but it all seemed relatively easy/immediate. The shock I got going into real-world challenges in part 6 of the above course was big, it seemed not only extremely difficult but far beyond what I was previously taught in the previous challenges and simply too much of a step up.

So what I am asking for is what to do to bridge that gap? I’m I missing something obvious or will I just have to go back to the old challenges and just keep repeating them.

1 Like

Actually I had the same thing back in the day with python (2.7 back then), It was called
“student becomes the teacher”, I actually kept trying to do it, but I wasn’t able to do it, none of them.
I skipped all of these (I think there was 9 or 10 maybe), I think why you and I and anybody who has or had the same problem couldn’t pass these lessons, is because all along we were told what and how to do, even though there were smaller tests and such, we couldn’t pass these tests, because we didn’t really get any advice and we were alone.
The projects itself aren’t that hard, we know every statement, keyword and built-in functions for them, it’s just we aren’t able to put it together because we weren’t practicing for it.
So my advice is that you should go and make something on your own that you want and then come back and do these tests.

1 Like

Thank you, this sums the situation very nicely.

I will try using DB Browser for SQ Lite for a while which is very helpful and friendly at guessing what you want and where you want it along with the correct code.

I do feel that the part 4-6 needs review and expanding for people to climb up a bit before being let loose, I have no problem taking initiative and trying to learn with the tools given, but I seriously struggled to get through 6 without asking for the code solution as the hints and description of what was wanted and was simply not good enough.

They did the same thing with command prompt course that was recommended by Codecademy before I started SQ modules, I got to a certain point in it then it jumped too far, again hints that were really not good enough.

I’m off to create some random tables and try and improve my knowledge freeball style so I can actually progress to Python.

I don’t want to skip to Python without completing the SQL first as it may mean I am simply not good enough at SQL? or that it may impact my Python learning?

1 Like

I understand, even though SQL doesn’t really have much in common with python, but finishing one first and then moving onto the next one is a good idea.
I’d say complete the one you want to complete more, then move onto the other, because if you continue the one you don’t want to do that much, then you won’t be able to concentrate that hard.
I do the exact same thing with my projects, but a tip, to compare the two courses I think you should think of the problematic course before the problem so it won’t affect your opinion about it.

1 Like

Thanks for the help, it was feeling a bit lonely after I discovered the gaping gap between part 4 and 6 and wondering how on earth do I traverse this gap alone. Now with your help and guidance I think I will now move on to the pressing matter of learning Python, as SQL was always part of the goal not the end goal, as you said, if it’s not a priority and move on to what is and don’t get stuck on the thing that isn’t.

Also to be honest DB Browser can do it all for me in many respects for SQL.

1 Like