Find Your Hat Challenge Project (JavaScript)

Thanks David, this works perfectly! It looks a lot better now.

Frustrating but got there in the end! First time dealing with creating 2d arrays, had to use one line from the solution code. Added a few extras; The quicker you are the higher your score. Default mode moves the hat every 10 moves, hard mode moves the hat after a random amount of moves.

Here’s the link: Find-your-hat-game/main.js at master · jamesHarradon/Find-your-hat-game · GitHub

Cheers for that, so much better!

Nice one! I like how you allow the user to choose the size of the field and percentage of holes. I was trying to do the same but completely forgot about parseInt! Thanks :+1:

1 Like

Hello!

This is my solution for the project: GitHub - saritchi/Find-Your-Hat

I was able to implement random field generation, and checked to see it the generation is solvable using Breadth-First Search.

Also, I was trying to use the terminal-kit package but for some reason I couldn’t get ’ ^ ’ to show up in green. I omitted it for now from my code, but I’m curious is anyone else had a similar issue with it.

Here is my solution, open to feedback - find-my-hat/main.js at master · brettjames250/find-my-hat · GitHub

const prompt = require("prompt-sync")({ sigint: true });

const hat = "^";
const hole = "O";
const fieldCharacter = "░";
const pathCharacter = "*";

class Field {
  constructor(field) {
    this.field = field;
    this.row = 0;
    this.column = 0;
  }

startGame() {
    // PRINT FIELD INITIALLY
    this.print();
    let gameOverFlag = false;

while (gameOverFlag != true) {
      // RETRIEVE USER MOVE
      const move = prompt("Which way?");

switch (move) {
        case "r":
          this.column += 1;
          console.log("RIGHT");
          break;
        case "d":
          this.row += 1;
          console.log("DOWN");
          break;
        case "u":
          this.row -= 1;
          console.log("UP");
          break;
        case "l":
          this.column -= 1;
          console.log("LEFT");
          break;
        default:
          console.log("Enter U, D, L or R.");
      }

// CHECK IF OUT OF BOUNDS
      if (this.isOutOfBounds()) {
        console.log("OUT OF BOUNDS");
        gameOverFlag = true;
        break;
      }

// CHECK IF HOLE
      if (this.hasFallenDownHole()) {
        console.log("GAME OVER YOU HAVE FALLEN DOWN A HOLE!");
        gameOverFlag = true;
        break;
      }

// CHECK IF HAT
      if (this.hasFoundHat()) {
        console.log("CONGRATULATIONS, YOU WIN!");
        gameOverFlag = true;
        break;
      }

// SET NEW USER POSITION
      if (gameOverFlag != true) {
        this.field[this.row][this.column] = pathCharacter;

// PRINT UPDATED FIELD
        this.print();
      }
    }
  }

isOutOfBounds() {
    return (
      this.row < 0 ||
      this.row > this.field.length - 1 ||
      this.column < 0 ||
      this.column > this.field[0].length - 1
    );
  }

hasFoundHat() {
    return this.field[this.row][this.column] === hat;
  }

hasFallenDownHole() {
    return this.field[this.row][this.column] === hole;
  }

print() {
    for (let row of this.field) {
      console.log(row.join(" "));
    }
  }

randomIndex(upperRange) {
    return Math.floor(Math.random() * upperRange);
  }

static generateField(rows, columns, percentageHoles) {
    let fieldArray = [];

// GENERATE GRID BASED ON HEIGHT AND WIDTH
    for (let i = 0; i < rows; i++) {
      const line = [];
      for (let j = 0; j < columns; j++) {
        line.push(fieldCharacter);
      }
      fieldArray.push(line);
    }

// ADD USER
    fieldArray[0][0] = pathCharacter;

// ADD HAT IN
    const hatColumn = Math.floor(Math.random() * columns);
    const hatRow = Math.floor(Math.random() * rows);

fieldArray[hatColumn][hatRow] = hat;

// CALCULATE REQUIRED HOLES
    const numCells = fieldArray.length * fieldArray[0].length;
    let numHoles = Math.round((percentageHoles / 100) * numCells);

// ADD HOLES IN
    for (numHoles; numHoles > 0; numHoles--) {
      let holeRow = 0;
      let holeColumn = 0;

// CHECK IF HOLE LOCATION IS ALREADY PATH OR HAT
      while (fieldArray[holeRow][holeColumn] != fieldCharacter) {
        holeRow = Math.floor(Math.random() * rows);
        holeColumn = Math.floor(Math.random() * columns);
      }

fieldArray[holeRow][holeColumn] = hole;
    }

return fieldArray;
  }
}

let field = Field.generateField(10, 10, 35);

const myField = new Field(field);

myField.startGame();

Find Your Hat | Generate Random Field | Codecademy Javascript III Project (github.com)

Anyone searching for generating a random field board, here is my approach. Also, modularity and comments for better readability and debugging.

Happy Coding :slight_smile:

Finally got my head around this. I’ll admit I had to get some help on the game mechanic from the codecademy solution, but I think if I had to do something similar in the future, I’d be better able to do it now. Definitely learned a lot with this, also would be worth coming back to try to recreate from memory or adapt to something new.

Here’s my solution

Hi All,

I slightly changed my project as I found more incentive to find Coffee than a Hat. I’ve kept to the Project requirements regarding everything else though …

find-your-coffee-game-simone-waring

I built / ran my project in VS Code rather than using Codecademy’s CLI (for those who are wondering if its worth taking the time to set this up my answer is YES - much easier to debug for starters).

I can see how this project is a handy foundation for all sorts of min games, so I’m really glad we got to do this.

Cheers,
Simone

Hey space_horse

Not sure if this will help but … your arguments for your static method are rows, columns and this is (in my opinion) a really good way to visualise the JS 2D array.

Put simply, a 1D array is a table with 1 row and 1 or more columns whilst a 2D array is a table with 1 or more rows and one or more columns.

single array = 1 row and 3 columns = only 1 row so only one loop

Manhattan | New York | USA

2d array of 2 rows and 2 columns = outer loop for the rows, inner loop for the columns

Manhattan | New York | USA
Sydney | NSW | Australia

Hope this makes it easier to see what you are asking the computer to do - i.e. to start at the first row (0), then go through and do something in each column of that row, represented by the inner loop - just like a table or spreadsheet.

Once you hit your limit of columns, the inner loop finishes meaning you’ve populated the first row.

So now JS moves to the outer loop to see if there is another row (1), if there is it repeats the process of addressing each column in that row and then moves on until you’ve filled out your table

Hi,

Here you can find my solution to the project: GitHub - Mikheltodd/FindYourHat

I think it was one of the hardest projects on this path, but it was interesting. It boosts your creativity and when you’re working on it, more ideas come to mind.

Regards,

This is my first time posting code for review so I apologize if the link does not work or if I posted the code wrong!
The only thing I did not complete is a maze solver and the plugs to make the graphics more advanced. I tried to make it as user friendly and efficient as I could. Please let me know if you see something I could have done better or documented better!

This took a couple afternoons, it was definitely a challenge! It accepts user input to create the size of the board and set the difficulty (difficulty is calculated as a simple fraction of the board area; the harder the difficulty, the lower the denominator of the fraction). Please check it out, would love feedback:

Hey everyone!
Hope you all found your hats!
This one took me much longer than I expected it to, though I tried to make easy for anyone to understand, install and play.
My code is far from the best or most efficient, but it does work nevertheless. It was a great practice, though I felt very dum quite a few times. :slight_smile:
Here is my version of it:

Any feedback is very welcome!
Thank you and good luck!!
Cheers!

3 Likes

Here my project guys.

Happy Coding! :love_you_gesture:t3: :hugs: :call_me_hand:t3:

Hi everyone my name is Hector Acosta, this is my solution for the find-your-hat project.

Github link:

I would appreciate having your feedback. Thanks! <3

One thing for sure, your READme file on the github link is awesome. I knew it was something I needed to work on doing when I upload projects but have been putting it off. After following your link and seeing how clear and organized it looks, I am for sure taking a pause to work on that! The code itself is also pretty well organized and easy to follow!

4 Likes

This is my solution :smiley: !

https://gist.github.com/mj2silva/ea2b54c0145dff6b3ae5c21f86e07a23
I would appreciate some feedback

Alright, I am sorry to say this but the project is so out of place from the course flow. It most definitely had to be a step-by-step project, due to the fact that there was a huge gap between lessons on the Class and this. I am feeling somewhat envious, that some people could actually get this…idk may be they are doing same challenge not on ‘Beginner’ course?
But yeah, this is hard for a total beginner level.

5 Likes