Feeling lost and started disliking Codeacdemy now!

Hi Team,

It’s been around a month or more, spending time in learning Python, but let me confess, the method/style of Codeacademy’s teaching isn’t working for me. At least, I feel there’s a better way out there.

Let me tell you why?

First, nothing installed on the PC/Computer. Why? Pls, allow us to learn by installing things and trying on our own. Why don’t they teach us that?

Second, we do some exercises, and learn some concepts and move on to the next chapter. If I have to refer back to some of those concepts, how do I do it? E.g. I’m doing some Python exercises, which requires me to go back to old chapters and relook/revise. How do I go back? Every time, I do google and spend time on finding the right reference to that concept. It’s a waste of time.

Why can’t Codeacademy has its own Python reference and ready to refer library of important concept?

Third, I’m doing it on my pace, quite slow. And I lost track quite often and it makes it very difficult. I feel lost doing new exercises. This style of teaching might be good for those, who does it daily, but not for those who are infrequent.

Honestly, I’m trying hard, but I feel it’s not working for me.

It’s weird but I feel learning from the book seems better.

Pls, help.

because plenty of guides and tutorials exists, codecademy can’t teach everything. There even guides which explain each step: https://www.howtogeek.com/197947/how-to-install-python-on-windows/

for windows there is even executable with installer wizard.

codecademy supports navigation through the completed lessons? Also, if you need to know something you can google as well, programmers do this all the time. Learning to find information quickly and efficiently is something very valuable to learn

truthfully? In the beginning, programming regular is rather important. The only way to really get better is regular practice (just like math).

4 Likes

Simplest answer = your attention on Codecademy = economic value created for Codecademy.

That’s not a criticism, just how digital economics has ended up working. It’s an attention economy.

I’m very glad I rediscovered codecademy, as if I am able to stick with it for a few days at a time, I can learn quite rapidly, and more formally than I could do by myself.

But I know that additional and complementary learning must occur outside codecademy, because learning by any single methodology is not real learning; you also need some self-guided haphazard stuff, and to apply your learning outside of the learning environment; i.e. to build stuff.

If you can build real stuff, that is the true test that the learning has worked for you; and that you’re still adding to that learning.

I think it would be cool to see codecademy learners building stuff together.

3 Likes

Thanks, Stetim94 for your rude and unprofessional reply. Don’t expect better from Codeacdemy Moderators now. Your reply added more reasons to dislike.

It’s sad to see such unprofessional reply from Codeacademy moderators.

It doesn’t help, but thanks.

1 Like

Thanks, antonjw.

It’s quite strange though to see that CodeAcademy doesn’t have a quick reference/help kind of page, for beginners of Python. We can do searches, but it would help to have such reference/ready link available from CA itself.

1 Like

i am sorry the truth is not always comforting. I can’t change that. Regular practice however is certainly a good piece of advice.

1 Like

I don’t disagree to that, but only reason I chose CA is because you are better off others.

Look as a working professional, we got some limitations on learning, but coming back to pain, why can’t CA create a small ready reference kind of manual, to quickly refer important concept taught in Python 3 Course? I mean, is that difficult?

Every course taught has some reference documentation available which summaries important concepts. If every-time we have to refer some third-party references from web (not validated content), do you expect us to speed up learning? Is that too much to ask for?

What I normally started doing is, copy pasting important programs/code snippets on Text file to refer back, what I learned earlier. That’s not helpful.

Just see it from Student’s perspective and you will understand what I mean.

Thanks.

1 Like

I can see this point from both angles. I entirely see the point of having the learner go off-site and figure out how to use reference documentation and other sources - because programmers do this all the time.

However, I can envisage some kind of cards-like system whereby the learner would be able to easily navigate the topics they have covered, and be asked additional questions whenever they wish to go in and review a previous lesson topic.

And to click through from there and refer to the lesson notes, and re-run the exercise if they wish. Yeah you can do that currently but not with the first part of that vision.

I feel a useful addition would be some smaller-scale review material / route back into the material, and as you suggest that could be a list of terms and concepts which were specifically covered by the course.

2 Likes

i have been through the student process. Codecademy is where i started with programming. I know the struggles.

Now being on the helping side, i also realized something else. You want a certain feature (a quick reference guide) while someone else wants something else. And so there hundreds of people, if not thousands who want something. And codecademy can’t do every feature each learner want. Sure, one small feature isn’t a lot of work, but thousands of small features is

We will most likely not agree, and that is fine.

I wish i could tell you different news, but i am afraid i can’t. I really do hope you find a strategy which works for you.

2 Likes

IP. That’s why. Intellectual Property. The learning environment is proprietary software that CC no doubt pays a hefty license fee to use, and possibly horde. It is an environment where learners can get there feet wet coding in a sandbox where they can’t hurt anything. It also keeps the focus on coding, not hardware and software installation, configuration, etc. which would pull focus and totally lose the learner.

Mind, there are courses that eventually emerge that do involve installing software on your machine. That’s in the Pro offering, though.

We’re here to learn how to code, not install software. It’s in the motto of CC…

Teaching the world how to code.

3 Likes