FAQ: Your First Sass Stylesheet - Compiling Sass

This community-built FAQ covers the “Compiling Sass” exercise from the lesson “Your First Sass Stylesheet”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Learn Sass

FAQs on the exercise Compiling Sass

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

How can we install SASS compiler in our computer? A quick google search reveals that there are several ways: using Ruby, Node.js, Homebrew (for Mac OS)… What are the advantages/disadvantages for each option?

1 Like

You can go here:

You can go here for the official site:

I have encountered a problem setting up with SASS in my project that doesn’t really cover in the course.

FYI, if you want to set up SASS in your project →

Compare the output in main.css to the input in main.scss .

I use Firefox on Ubuntu. Running the sass command in the terminal doesn’t generate an output in main.css.

Hii ,
I was using npm in my project but while installing sass I was getting error and now I tried using yarn but iam getting error saying ’ incompatible with the node module required version “…” Got “…” ’ . I tried installing different versions but it didn’t work . Please do suggest something…

Might be worth mentioning that you must install a SASS compiler, a source for install, and clear best practices for doing so.

Somewhat obvious, but seems like “Your First Sass Stylesheet” would be the ideal place for somewhat obvious directions.

Wish I knew the appropriate info myself.

I figured it out, but yea very odd how little practical guidance there was for getting SASS up and running in your own environment outside the lesson.

Anyway use command

npm install -g sass

to get SASS installed on your machine. You’ll need npm installed first, of course, which is another task in itself( not too hard [Downloading and installing Node.js and npm | npm Docs](https://NPM & Node.js docs )

THEN you’ll run the only direction the lesson gave on command line:

sass main.scss main.css

THEN you’ll really want to setup autosave, which isn’t covered in lesson but is used as if you didn’t have to do anything to set it up. So enter command :

sass --watch main.scss:landing.css