FAQ: Variables - Step 2: Initialize a Variable

This community-built FAQ covers the “Step 2: Initialize a Variable” exercise from the lesson “Variables”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Learn C++

FAQs on the exercise Step 2: Initialize a Variable

There are currently no frequently asked questions associated with this exercise – that’s where you come in! You can contribute to this section by offering your own questions, answers, or clarifications on this exercise. Ask or answer a question by clicking reply (reply) below.

If you’ve had an “aha” moment about the concepts, formatting, syntax, or anything else with this exercise, consider sharing those insights! Teaching others and answering their questions is one of the best ways to learn and stay sharp.

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

I keep getting an error when trying to compile
int main()
{
int year;
year = 2019;
}

It gives me the error:
variable.cpp: In function ‘int main ()’:
variable.cpp:11:1: error: expected ‘;’ before
token
}

I’ve tried rewriting the code, starting a new session but nothing works. what have I done wrong here?

1 Like

Just you need to include the required library for main() function.

write the following line at the very first of your code

#include

I don’t believe any includes are required here, since to my knowledge there is no source file we need to include to be able to define a main function.

The code looks fine to me; my guess is maybe there used to be a bug in the course.

They need to update it to 2020. Just a small note. :grinning:

2 Likes

Why can’t we initialize and declare variables together in c++?
EDIT: I went farther in the lesson and saw that you can. It’s just a little different because in the JS course it starts off with defining and initializing together.

Can you declare and initialize variable simultaneously?

You can, it’s just later in the lesson. (see my comment above)

Just a suggestion: If you’ve already taught something in a previous lesson, maybe instead if just telling the student exactly what they need to type again, have them try and remember. Otherwise it doesn’t stick in their head early.

1 Like

of course you can e.g
int year = 2019;